From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 19:51:13 -0500
But, this is all a travesty. Lowell has to be one of the strongest
up-and-coming teams in Div. 1. With their performances in 94 and 96, the
new arena that will help attract recruits and the growing fan base, this
team will surely help college hockey. The have stolen the hearts of a
well-populated region on the Mass/N.H. border and Bruce Crowder and
company have done an excellent job selling this team to the public. These
hockey players do as much community work as Mo Vaughn, and we
know that's what got Mo the MVP! They've molded a really decent club
that has the potent power to contend for Hockey East's title.

Now, they still fell into the #4 seed this year. Even if Providence doesn't
get in and Bowling Green does (Cornell would've anyway), Lowell still
has only Clarkson and Cornell below them in the East. With Maine not
getting in (they are the real #2 east seed), it makes total sense to move
Vermont up and slide a stronger western team over. Much like when
Lowell was "awarded" the #3 west seed in 94, it was seen as a gift to
Lowell seeing that Maine and BU were #1 & #2. Anyhow, Maine being
out does not mean Lowell should be moved up. Unless they had the edge
over Vermont, which could have easily happened given better results
last weekend. Now, given that Clarkson, Providence and Cornell all got
in, does this make Lowell #3 in the east ... technically yes, but it would
have led to Clarkson being #4, see what I mean.

But there is no way Lowell needed to go west! Second round matchups
was not the only reason in my opinion. I think it comes down to lack of
respect, Digregorio's lack of savvy, and total ignorance on the part of the
committee. Should Bowling Green's four straight close calls in the last
four years been figured into it...well, probably not...but should Lowell's
"injustice" of 94...DEFINITELY. This is a slap in the face to a
well-deserving program that is really trying to make the grade in Div.
1...and doing a fair job of it! Ignoring 94 and sticking it to Lowell AGAIN is
absolutely absurdity ... Lowell's fans deserve better.

Now, to all you unbiased patrons who want to analyze Lowell's seed out
west and try and comfort us... thanks, but no thanks. YES, Lowell
would've traded places with Cornell. We'll take on the great LSSU ... and
we'll give them one hell of a game. Lowell doesn't care who we
play...just let our growing population of fans come along for the ride.
Lowell would've played LSSU .... and then BU and not have batted an
eyelash. Mich. State and then Colorado is no picnic, but that's not the
point. There is no freaking way the Lowell deserves to be shipped out
TWICE ... once as a #3 seed and once as a #4 ...

Also, I have to believe Jackie Parker wouldn't have let this happen. Too
bad we didn't have him at bat for us. Its like losing the power of a
Kennedy and replacing it with Bob "been-around-a-long-time" Dole! We're
talking the Athletic Director of Merrimack!!! Give me a break! He could care
less about improving his own program, but he cares even less about the
potent, up-and-coming Lowell program about 6 miles from his campus.
Whereas Parker wants Lowell ... the games are excellent and B.U. is
really excited about emerging powers in their league. It lends more
credibility to their program. Jackie Parker is no dummy, but Digregorio
might be. If he played his cards right, he could ride Lowell's coat-tails if
he only had a club that could compete. Lowell/Merrimack has a great
history...it could be used to really pack some stadiums. But, Merrimack
needs a new rink...they deserve it! Another story!

Well, I'm going to Albany, it appears. I'll be the one wearing the Lowell
jersey and screaming "LOWELL GOT SCREWED!!!". Hope to see some of
you there! Don't hesitate to say hi, if you catch me walking by!!!

Paul Gentile