From:
robert Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 20:54:40 GMT
>PE
>1925   Varsity Baseball (max 4 cr; prereq #) (P-N only)
>     302030  Hanna, 1 cr
>
>Translation:
>The course number is PE 1925, the class can be repeated for up to 4
>credits, the prerequisite is instructor approval, the grading option is
>only pass/no pass, the call # is used to register for the class, the
>instructor is Hanna (the baseball coach) and it is a one credit class.
>
>Why is this a problem?  It isn't inflating their GPA (P-N has no effect on
>the GPA).  The coach is the one that instructs them while they are at
>school, and one credit per year certainly isn't going to let you graduate
>any sooner.  I don't understand where the problem lies.

Another point:  Unless things have drastically changed in the last 5
years, the U of M hockey program has nothing to do with the hockey
class offered other than the fact that they use the same ice sheet.
Bill Butters used to teach this course but it was decided that the
assistant coaches had enough to keep them busy without having to set
up a course plan and reading/grading papers (Oh, ok, it was a hockey
class and not terribly rigerous, but it was still time consuming).
When I was in the course (3 of my 5 wonderful years at the U of M) a
guy from Hamline University was teaching the course.

And, as stated above, it was a S/N course (or P-N in UMD lingo) so no
GPA padding was involved.  I don't see a problem with any of the
hockey players taking this course at all.
Rob Zielinski                         Systems Administration
The REP Company                              Bloomington, MN