From:
"Siren R. Chudgar" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Siren R. Chudgar
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 17:17:21 -0500
To add to the discussion, much has been said about Cheel Arena at Clarkson
recently.  Granted, the arena is really spacious, and is "too nice" to be
an annoying hockey rink.  The bell is still here, and is still run by
Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity, which at times means that when no one shows up
to run the bell, we go games without hearing the bell.  I think I have heard
the bell at only two games this semester, parents weekend vs. Bowling Green
and vs. St. Lawrence.  The train whistle that was installed last year, was
a project that took almost 7 months to complete.  The train whistle as I have
been told by Don Dangremond, (VP for Univ. Communications and Relations, and
the one person instrumental in getting the whistle installed) is that it is
the old whistle from the Potsdam train station and represents a bit of history
in the town of Potsdam.  Also, this year, a small display has been set up in
one of the arena corners in a tribute to Walker Arena.  Though I am sure that
all the new reserved seats do generate some revenue for the university, and the
students do all still get in for free (which is a nice benefit of being a
Clarkson student).  Hopefully, in the future, both the bell and the whistle
can work simultaneously with the Pep Band and the students to create the
most hostile environment possible in an arena like ours.

Siren Chudgar
Clarkson University

LET'S GO TECH!!