From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1991 14:34:23 EST
Some more of the weekend's results from Division III:

Friday, Nov. 8
     Air Force 4, Elmira 1
     Potsdam State 7, SUNY-Binghamton 2
     RIT 7, Geneseo 6
     Pepsi Cardinal Classic at Plattsburgh State:
          Connecticut 7, Mercyhurst 5
          Plattsburgh State 5, New England 4

Saturday, Nov. 9
     Air Force 7, Elmira 5
     Canisius 4, Brockport 0
     Pepsi Cardinal Classic:
          Consolation:
          Mercyhurst 11, New England 4
          Championship:
          Plattsburgh State 8, Connecticut 4

And one club score from Saturday:
     Ithaca College 5, Gannon 5

Notes on a few of the games:

Potsdam State 7, SUNY-Binghamton 2
     Binghamton's home opener did not go well at all, as they lost their third
     straight after opening the season with a victory.  The two teams battled
     to a scoreless first period, but Potsdam broke the game open with five
     goals in the second.  The Bears outshot Binghamton 21-7 in the second
     period and 48-24 over the entire game.

Air Force 4, Elmira 1
Air Force 7, Elmira 5
     Thanks to Charlie Shub for the box scores.  Just for the record, Terry
     Courtney's holding penalty in the second period of Friday's game occurred
     at the 8:20 mark -- somebody apparently wrote down the wrong time.

     What basically killed Elmira in the first game was their power play unit,
     which went 0 for 6 on the night.  This was highlighted by their perfor-
     mance after a Falcons player was hit with a major and game disqualifi-
     cation for spearing (Charlie's box score says it was John Sullivan, but
     I've got Dan McAlister).  Not only did the Soaring Eagles fail to score
     during the ensuing five-minute power play, but they were unable to manage
     even a shot on goal.

     Elmira's power play fared somewhat better in Saturday's game (4 for 10),
     but this one was marred by a total of 32 penalties.  The Falcons' Eric
     Rice picked up a hat trick, including two in the first three minutes to
     give Air Force what would prove to be an insurmountable 6-2 lead.  Kyle
     Kilpatrick and Bernie Cassell scored to bring Elmira back within two, but
     Air Force's Bob Ingraham slammed the door shut with a goal at the 14:27
     mark.  Joe Spinnelli gave the Soaring Eagles a chance with a power-play
     goal a minute and a half later, but Elmira's hopes evaporated in the last
     two minutes of the game on a couple of dumb penalties.  Greg Moore's
     holding infraction and Jason Courtemanche's major for checking from behind
     allowed Air Force to run out the rest of the game on the power play.  The
     Soaring Eagles are now 2-3 on the season, having played four Division I
     foes and won once, an overtime victory against Army.
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94