From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:15:55 -0600
=46rom Monday's (10/16/95) Minnesota Daily:

Godbout succeeds in new offensive role in first game back after stroke Jeff
Sherry - Staff Reporter

HOUGHTON, Mich. -- It was about three minutes into the Gophers'
season-opener at Michigan Tech on Friday. The teams set a quick pace but
their top skaters had yet to score.

Another line change. The Gophers' fourth trio of forwards jumped over the
boards and took the ice. Jason Godbout was part of the group. The same Jason
Godbout who had open-heart surgery in May.

He got in position and started following the play. A pass came near the
Michigan Tech bench and Godbout went for it. As he approached the blue-line,
Huskies defender Tommi Hyyrynen closed in, raised his stick and crashed
Godbout into the boards.

Getting clotheslined never felt so good.

=46or Godbout, Friday night was the realization of a dream he had worked
countless hours to see come true. Not only did he get to play hockey for the
Gophers again, he scored a goal in his first game back.

Godbout has come a long way since being rushed to University Hospital in
Madison, Wis., before the Gophers' NCAA Regional semifinal game on March 24.
Doctors there discovered he had suffered a minor stroke and later found a
small hole in the right atrium of his heart.

Godbout underwent open-heart surgery in St. Paul on May 4 to repair the
problem. The surgery went well and Godbout had reason to be optimistic.

"I knew I would be able to play again," Godbout said. "But realistically, I
didn't think I would be playing this soon. Everything came together so well.
I really healed quickly."

About three weeks after the surgery, he was able to go for his first walk.
Three weeks later he skated again. Three months after his surgery, doctors
gave him the OK to lift weights and play sports competitively.

And on Friday, Godbout was back in uniform for the Gophers, getting hockey
sticks slammed into his head.

"I heard all the fans cheer when I got hit," Godbout said. "I knew I was in
the game right away. Before, I would get nervous about what would happen if
someone got rough with me, but now I don't even think about it anymore.

"I really wasn't nervous at all tonight. I've had a lot of time to motivate
myself and play mind games. But it's great to get back. Being in the locker
room, being on the road --there's nothing better than this."

As the game progressed, Godbout became a major contributor for Minnesota.
Dave Larson turned Hyyrynen's high-sticking penalty into the Gophers' first
goal of the season. Godbout continued to play his regular line shifts and
was a member of both the penalty kill and power play units.

And five minutes into the second period, he officially completed his
comeback. Dan Woog sent a pass to Godbout, who was streaking in from the
blue line. His wrist shot from the left circle beat Huskies' goaltender
Luciano Caravaggio and marked the weekend's most heartwarming moment.

"When I scored the goal, it made everything worthwhile," Godbout said.
"After I scored, I went to the bench and all the guys told me, `You're
really back now.' Now there's no doubt in my mind that I can play in this
league and be a contributor to the team."

Godbout, who says he feels as healthy as he ever has, will continue
developing his new role as a forward. Last year he played defense, but the
team's logjam of talent at that position prompted his move up front.

"We want to make sure we have our 20 best players in the lineup," said
Gophers assistant coach Tom Ward. "And Jason is definitely one of those
players."

=A9The Minnesota Daily

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!