From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 05:03:42 PDT
I wish to thank Luiz Valente for posting the list of all of
the league Div-I hockey schools comparative academic standings.
I have been awaiting this all summer since he posted a partial
list back in June or July.  Most interesting was the later
discussion of how the academic index is used by the NC$$.

I read well over a week's mail now rather rapidly, but if I under
stand things correctly, it does not seem to me to matter too much
(as others have stated).  The average academic index of all the
incoming freshman scholarship athletes (in a given sport, I
assume) must be within one standard deviation of the average
incoming freshman.  The only time that should be a problem is
when the sample is extremely small -- an incoming class of only
one or two athletes.

I dusted off my old grade books from when I was a graduate
Teaching Assistant at RPI and computed the average grade that I
gave to hockey players and compared it with the average grade
that I gave to all students.  Now, clearly college grades are not
the same as some combination of SATs, high-school average, etc.,
but the same thing should happen.  Also, RPI did not give ath-
letic scholarships at the time, so would not have had to meet
this standard had it been in effect in the late '60s - early
'70s.  Although the hockey players were perceived on average as
lesser students than the average student at RPI, and also the
Calculus courses that I taught were perceived as one of the more
difficult that Management majors took, the hockey-player average
is well within one standard deviation of the general average.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74