From:
Mark Sonnier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 14:26:34 -0800
Sorry for the oversight.  I just thought *EVERYONE* knew who Binky was...

For everyone's benefit, Binky and Nuka were a pair of polar bears who
lived at the the Alaska Zoo here in Anchorage for the past 10 or 12
years.  Binky gained his 15 minutes of fame after goodnaturedly grabbing
a tourist who ventured into his pen for a close up photo.  Shortly
thereafter, a drunken local teen climbed into Binky's pool for a midnite
swim only to have Binky remove the kid's jeans...

This summer, both Binky and Nuka succumbed to a still mysterious liver
parasite, indeed an ignoble demise for these proud animals.  Letters of
condolence poured in from around the state and beyond, and the bear's
pens were opened up for a public memorial attended by throngs of flower-
wielding children and us big kids, too.

I keep hoping UAF will adopt Binky and Nuka as their official
male and female mascot names.  Like many, the photo of Binky with that
Aussie gal's shoe in her mouth is indelibly etched in my mind.

As a Nanook among Seawolves, Binky allows me an outlet to show my true
colors without unduly irritating my coworkers :)

So, in short, long live Binky!

Mark
Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.                                 Voice (907)786-6505
Purchasing Agent                                          Fax (907)786-6515
University of Alaska Anchorage           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
UAF Hockey fans say:  "Look out CCHA - 'Nooks in 95 are badder than Binky!"