From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 17:15:41 -0500
First, a quick response to Ralph Baer.  The stats I post for RPI write-ups
are first-hand accounts--I record what Don the announcer indicates are the
scorers.  Saturday's game in particular seemed a little confused with the
scoring changing throughout the game.

Second, the issue of RPI's ravenous fans.  IMHO, the current fans in the
stands, and especially the student body , have grown more sedate since the
standards set by the 1985 championship crew.  Saturday's game it was
particularly noticeable--the Fieldhouse sounded like a morgue.  There was
very little life until RPI found itself on the losing end of the score in the
third period.  But this has seemed to be a natural outgrowth of the last few
years--the crowd is more subdued, perhaps more complacent.  Even the
over-hyped CDTA series didn't seem to be enough to shake the fans out of
their lethargy.  Lately the only games it seems you can depend on for a loud
audience is the Harvard game, and of course the Freakout.

The issue of complacency is also interesting.  I have commented previously
that RPI fans were guilty of rampant over-expectations, with the press also
suffering from the 1985 syndrome, that is, we can and should win-it-all this
year.  But I think things have moderated a bit.  The loss at the Knick last
spring was a shot to the p

syche for most RPI fans.  I don't think there were many fans in the 9,000+ at
the NC$$'s that harbored any doubts that the Engineers would triumph over New
Hampshire.  Obviously that was a gross over-estimation, and I think the
ephemeralness of the Engineer team has sunk in to many of the stalwart.
 Going in to this season I doubt that few of the loyal contingent thought
that RPI would succeed that well, if only for the fact that the team was
going to have to break-in a new goalie to replace a kid that was universally
revered as the guy that got them to the semis.  Going out 5-0 in the ECAC's
to say the least was unexpected, and most fans are still waiting for the
inevitable fall from grace.

The Capital District media also seems more tempered.  Bob Croce has grown
into a pretty reputable reporter.  He has gained the ability to sort out the
chaff from the wheat, and is usually on the mark with his analysis.  I think
he also suffered a little blow to his self-esteem when RPI opted out of the
HE party--he had assumed that this was a fait accompli.  The idea of RPI
staying in the "lowly" ECAC sent out the message that this team was no
Minnesota, or LSSU for that matter.  The rest of the media crew also seems a
little better, if only from the gain in losing Laura Vecsey, who amazingly
got an offer from another paper!

This year it may actually be more fun to be a RPI fan--without all the
baggage of pre-season expectations, each win becomes a treat.  Even the loss
to a team like Army doesn't seem so bad.
And anyway Tamburro wasn't in goal.  So maybe we'll all lighten up a little.

Brian Morris                   Go RPI!
[log in to unmask]             Go Colgate!