From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 11:38:09 -0400
I think the reason that there was confusion in the first period over MSU's
first power play goal was that the first BG player eligible to come out of
the box hadn't gotten onto the ice yet to make the 5-on-4 situation.  When
the MSU bench only saw three BG players (plus the goalie) on the ice, they
assumed they probably still had the power play for another 1:49 (since the
second penalty occurred at 9:19).

Since I was taking notes :-), it was obvious to me that the second player
should have come out of the box when the goal was scored, since the first
penalty officially ended :01
 before the score.  Why it took 8-10 minutes to figure this stuff out, I had
no idea (then again, I don't think Shell knew what he was doing the whole
night anyway, so that might explain it).

Two other questions I had relating to this:
1)  How does one score a 5-on-3c situation as regards to number of power
    plays?  Let's give a scenario:  Team A is penalized for a 2-minute minor
    at 10:00 of a period.  They get a second minor at 10:30.  Team B doesn't
    score on either the first 5-on-4 (from 10:00 to 10:30), the 5-on-3 (10:30
    to 12:00) or the second 5-on-4 (12:00 to 12:30).  Technically, how many
    power plays did Team B have?

The reason I'm asking is that when I was taking notes on Saturday's game, I
ended up with 2-for-9 for BG on the PP, but only 3-for-7 for MSU, whereas
the official boxscore had 3-for-10.  So I'm just wondering where the discrep-
ancy is (BTW, I didn't post the PP numbers in my game report.)

2)  What the hell is it with the interference calls?  There must have been at
    least 7 or 8 during Saturday's game.  While some were justified, there
    were a few (on both sides) that were VERRRRRY iffy.  I mean, I'm all for
    calling a tight game if it's justified, but SHEEEESH.  19 power play
    situations?

Anyway, I should have the Hockey-L Regular Season Contest "Consensus" out
later today (I have some I haven't tabulated and I have to double-check some
numbers.)

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 0-0-0, 1-0-0
WVU (barnburner in Pittsburgh) '87, UTenn (robbed in Knoxville) '92, MSU
(stunk the joint out in East Lansing) who the hell knows when?