From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 1994 12:51:31 -0500

> Last Saturdays contest between NMU and MTU at Lakeview Arena for Senior
> Night was tainted by bad officiating says Coach Bob Mancini of Michigan
> Tech. I myself have very little respect for the officiating of Buzzy
> Christiansen, but Coach Mancini should realize that when you
> consistently play Clutch and Grab the entire game you are going to get
> called for a lot of minor penalties. Not to mention Michigan Tech's
> clutch and grab, they also had a few goons like Peco, Petersen, and Pat
> Mikesh who were consistently throwing sucker punches and getting in
> cheap shots behind the play. Just about everytimethe whistle blew a Tech
> player got in a late hit. Coach Mancini should not be blaming the
> officiating, but he should be upset about how undisciplined his hockey
> team played. The penalties could have easily exceeded 20 for Michigan
> Tech.
>
> Brad Cuyler.

This note is basically flame bait, but I'll respond anyway. You watch your team
different than others do and we do the same thing.  Clutch and grab hit and hold
could be ways I describe what happened to Tech sat night but I didnt.
I could list many cheap shots by NMU.  Blatent interference at center ice,
Mikesch getting a stick blade under the chin, Garvey getting boarded while on
his knees behind the goal, only to mention a few. Northern players were holding
sticks all night, but when garvey was boarded on his knees, then hit again
behind the net after getting up (a good hit) he was the one called for holding
a stick... go figure.  He gets a 2 min call when it should have been a 5 min
boarding call.  But I didn't complain about this stuff, only the fact that
Buzz was so inconsistant.  Both teams were guilty of trying to get away with
as much as Buzz would let them, he just changed what he would let them do in the
3rd.

As for goons?   you list two of the better tech players Peca and peterson
as goons.  Mikesch leads the team in penalty min.  Peterson is classified
a goon for being hammered in front of the net everytime he tries to set
up there, so be it he's a goon then..
By the way Peca slammed the door TWICE  (not repeatedly as previously posted)
NOt in poor sportsmanship, but in frustration in buzz's 7 straight calls against
tech which gave nmu the lead and the win.

The point is that everyone see's their team in a good light while the others
are the dark side.

The complaint about the officiating in this game was not that the penalties
were called, but the manner in which Buzz worked the games.  He was so inconsistant that the players had no idea how to play the game.  He let the physical
style of hockey (you call it clutch and grab) go on by both teams for 5 periods
then suddenly called it.  Buzz inconsistancy ruined a good hockey game.

Bob
MTU

----- End Included Message -----