From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 11:48:13 -0500
A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG win for MSU.  Whether the Saturday morning practice worked
or not is questionable, but obviously two key players for Michigan State were
motivated last night: Anson Carter and Mike Buzak.  Carter notched his 23rd
and 24th goals of the season in the 2-1 spartan win, while Buzak (who, IMHO,
should get serious consideration for a statue likeness to replace "Sparty")
was awesome in stopping 35 Bulldog shots.  The Spartans are 9-3-3 on the road
this year (and considering we're 3-2 in neutral ice games, that doesn't say
much for our home-ice "advantage").  The Spartans still managed only 24 shots
on goal in the victory, keeping the under-30 streak alive (it's been at least
6 games that I can remember).  Despite Ferris State's recent dominance of MSU
(esp. at Munn), the Spartans haven't lost in Big Rapids since Nov. 30, 1990
(4-0-2).  The win clinches at least fifth place for MSU (that just means we
can choose to avoid UAF).

(From Neil Koepke's article in the Lansing State Journal)
Ron Mason: "It was a win we had to have and sets up a chance to still finish
            third if we can beat Western.  We didn't hold anything back tonight.            We played a different system than we did last Friday and it was a
            heckuva lot more effective.  We were in position and didn't give up
            any two-on-ones like we did all night last Friday.  When Mike Buzak
            plays that well and we get a power-play goal or two we usually win.
            The breakaway stop he made in the third period (on FSU's John Duff
            with the score tied 1-1) was crucial.  If theyscore, maybe they win.            But he kept us in the game and then Anson clicks on the power play."
Mike Buzak: "I think this was a must-have-a-good-effort game more than a must-
             win game.  I can handle losing if we have a good effort and I have
             a good effort.  The puck was hitting me and I was getting some good             bounces."

Anson Carter: "The kid's (Buzak) unreal.  I think he's been our most consistent
               player all season.  Even when we've played poorly, he's kept us
               in games.  This was a huge win, not only in the point standings
               but for team morale.  We had to find a way to win.  We couldn't
               come out of here with anything less than two points."

Tonighht will be another must-have-a-good-effort game for the Spartans.  If
Ferris has had recent success against MSU, Western has dominated them the past
three or four seasons.  The teams played a home-and-home in December which saw
the Spartans score all of one goal.  (The game at Munn also sucked because it
wasn't part of the student ticket package for EITHER series.  The game was
played the Saturday before finals, so the ticket office didn't give it to the
students [or maybe they did give IT to the students ;-)].  There might have
been more Western fans than Spartan fans there in December.)  The Spartans may
have some added incentive tonight since it is the final home game of the
regular season, thus "Senior Night."  A near-record eight "seniors" will do a
lap around Munn Ice Arena tonight: wingers Michael Burkett and Kelly Harper,
center Scott Worden, and defensemen Bart Turner (capt.), Nick Perrault, and
Steve Norton, as well as "senior" with junior eligibility goaltender Eric
Kruse (who may or may not return next season) and reserve forward Mike Mattis
(who will graduate in December).  A win for MSU tonight clinches third place
with a chance at second if LSSU gets two points or less this weekend.  A tie
and the Spartans clinch fourth.  A loss, and who knows?

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?
TA UNIONS STILL SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!