From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 10:01:35 CST
Eric Rickin writes:
----------
>I am sickened by Tardiff taking only 6 credits  a term, because, as a
>student who works hard at school, this is just another example oof how
>atheletes are putting the word "Athelete" before "student."  I mean, most
>kids heree at michigan take more tha6 credits during summer and spring
>terms, which are half as long as the regulaar winter and fall terms.

>Everyone knows why Tardiff was at Maine... And it isn't because he wanted
>to go to school.

>Shheesh, fine, I'm sick of it.  Justpay each athelete $10000 a year and
>forget about school.  DOn't make them go, then.  Just have them rake in
>the money from the alumni and TV contracts.
-------------

Spelling mistakes aside, [Learning well in Ann Arbor? "Hail, hail,"
 indeed ; )  ], I, ah, think you're missing the point here. Tardif and the
 others were/are GRADUATE STUDENTS. Tardif could have taken his
bachelor's degree and ran like most players, or even left school early
 to sign with a pro team, *like a certain Maize-n-Blue orange-ball player
I could name,* but they stayed to CONTINUE THEIR EDUCATION.

And yes, six credits may seem a bit light to an undergrad, but when
 you get into grad-school issues, it's like apples and oranges. Aside
 from coursework, there are internships, field studies, and The Dreaded
Thesis (please, can some current grad student back this up?)

In any case the Boston Globe article Sid Whitaker posted indicated that
six credits number was all the Maine grad-school program required.
So it isn't like these STUDENT-athletes had cut special deals or anything.

Maybe some schools ARE too soft on athletes. Maybe college players
SHOULD be paid. But in this case, your argument slamming Tardif falls
flat. IMHO, its nice to see someone with a shot at pro sports looking
beyond his playing career.