ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:05:53 -0500
Last article. Here is Dave Bailey's recap from Maine-Bowdoin game
Wednesday night.

By Dave Bailey
Maine Campus staff

        Even though the University of Maine women's hockey team pounded
Bowdoin 9-1 Wednesday night at Alfond Arena, neither Black Bear coach
Rick Filighera nor his players were exactly spinning cartwheels
afterward.
        "We didn't play as well as we could have," Filighera said of his
team's efforts. "I thought we were still a little flat, especially
early on. We've got to play with a little more energy than that."
        "We weren't as intense as we could have been," added forward Kira
Misikowetz, who had two goals and an assist on the evening. "Maybe we
were taking [Bowdoin] lightly, which we shouldn't have, but we
definitely weren't playing to our fullest potential."
        Maine (6-5-0, 1-5-0 ECAC) had more to deal with than just botched
passes and failed finishes.
        The Bears, already without injured forwards Alison Lorenz and Amy Van
Vuren, also lost leading scorer Raffi Wolf for most of the game on a
scary injury in the closing minutes of the first period.
        Wolf slipped while skating in the right corner of the Bowdoin zone,
ramming into the boards.
        Wolf suffered a mild concussion but should be OK.
        "Raffi just has a headache," Filighera said. "She has a sore neck.
Luckily, she hit her face instead of the top of the crown of her head.
        "I think she was more disappointed she didn't finish the game."
With Wolf out, the rest of the team picked up the slack, as seven
different players scored for Maine. Andrea Keller, who took Wolf's spot
on the first line, came through with a goal and an assist.
        Kelly Nelson chipped in with two goals.
        Despite Maine's sluggish performance, the Bowdoin players didn't get
to handle the puck much, getting outshot 13-1 after one period.
Bowdoin's lone shot was a Caroline Chapin goal that trickled past Maine
goalie Amy Oliver (seven saves). Bowdoin was outshot 36-8 for the
entire game.
        Misikowetz, normally known more for her passing than her scoring,
tallied the first two goals for Maine, the first on a give-and-go with
Wolf at 2:32 of the first.
        Misikowetz passed the puck to Wolf from the corner, who dished it back
to Misikowetz from behind the Bowdoin net. Misikowetz then slammed it
past Polar Bear goalie Katie Worthing for the goal.
        "[Wolf] passed the puck really well and we just sort of psyched out
[Worthing] there around the bottom," Misikowetz said.
        Misikowetz scored again at 3:37 when she rebounded a failed Wolf
wraparound in the Bowdoin net.
        After goals by Nelson and Chapin made the score 4-1 after one period
of play, Maine scored six unanswered goals, courtesy of Nelson, Keller
(her second), Colleen Baude (her second), Esther Granville (her first),
Angela Hill (her second), and Lee Anne Irwin (her first).
        "We picked it up more near the end of the game," said Nelson, who now
has three goals on the season.
        "It was good to see everyone score. Everyone had a lot of shots."
Nelson's second goal a thing of beauty, faking out two Bowdoin
defenders in their zone and then decking the puck past Worthing.
        "I just started to make my way to the net and shoot," Nelson said.
Worthing saved 27 out of 36 shots for Bowdoin, which is now 1-4-1
overall.
        Star Standings:
Maine collected the first two stars of the game Wednesday night, with
Misikowetz snagging the No. 1 spot and Keller grabbing the No. 2 star.
Here are the updated standings:
        Player-Points
Raffi Wolf - 8
Kira Misikowetz - 5
Kathleen Hedges - 3
Sarah Caza - 2
Andrea Keller - 2
Alison Lorenz - 1
Kelly Nelson - 1
        On Tap:
Maine is off until it travels to Harvard Jan. 2 and 3 to face the No. 1
ranked team in the nation.