ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Lindsay A Huntoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:33:56 -0500
Just got back from the game (I stayed through the first period of the UVM -
UML game).  Here's the box score.

FIRST PERIOD:

ME-0 UNH-1 ( 8:49):  Filipowicz, from O'Brien and Matile (ppg)
ME-1 UNH-1 (15:10):  Kerluke, from Walsh and Gustafsson

Penalties

ME  ( 8:04):  Vitorino; slashing
UNH ( 9:46):  Walsh; slashing
ME  (16:40):  Vitorino; interference

SECOND PERIOD

ME-2 UNH-1 ( 1:43):  Kariya, from Cullen and Michaud (ppg)
ME-3 UNH-1 (13:09):  Kariya (2), from Metcalf and Cullen (ppg)
ME-3 UNH-2 (13:37):  Souza, from Krog and O'Brien (Alfie never saw it)
ME-3 UNH-3 (19:51):  Krog, from Souza and Haydar (ppg)

Penalties

UNH (  :24):  Lind; I'm not sure what the penalty was for, I was
              still in awe from meeting Bobby Orr and shaking his
              hand!!
UNH ( 2:03):  Dzieduszycki; hooking
UNH ( 5:16):  Sadowski; boarding
UNH (11:11):  Austin; charging
ME  (14:48):  Heisten; interference
UNH (15:41):  Haydar; interference
UNH (18:23):  Sadowski; roughing
ME  (18:23):  Jaaskelainen; roughing
ME  (19:47):  Kariya; hooking (but saved a sure goal)

THIRD PERIOD

ME-4 UNH-3 ( 3:55):  Gustafsson, from Walsh and Kerluke

Penalties

UNH (19:33):  Souz; goalie interference
UNH (19:33):  Bench minor; served by Walsh
UNH (19:49):  Krog; for roughing
ME  (19:49):  Walsh; roughing

Goalies:  Maine - Michaud
          UNH - Matile (pulled at 18:40 in the third period)

Attendance:  wasn't announced -- I'd guess between 2,500 and 3,000 people;
the place was less than half full.

Officials: Referee - Doiron; Linesmen - Zanetti and Simpson.
The officiating was pretty decent; they let them play for most of the game.
The calls definitely went Maine's way in the second period.  I think that
Maine got away with too many men on the ice a couple of times early on in
the game.  UNH got away with a hooking call late in the third period.  I'm
no expert, but Brendan Walsh had someone's stick wedged under his face mask
-- I'd certainly call that SOMETHING!!

Shots On Goal:  If you go by the scoreboard it was 0-0 for the game.  They
didn't announce this.  They barely even sounded the buzzer at the end of
the periods.

Dan and Lindsay's Three Stein awards (Maine players only!!)

#3:  Steve Kariya (his second goal was a work of art, and reminded me of
big brother Paul.

#2:  Alfie Michaud (he was really on his game, and picked up an assist on
Maine's first goal!!).

#1:  Shawn Walsh (UNH definitely had the momentum after the late goal in
the second period; wonder what he said to the boys during intermission!!)

Other Comments:

Maine should easily beat UVM or Lowell tomorrow night; let's hope after
tonights big win against UNH they don't take either team for granted.

The Tsongas is a great place to watch a game; not a bad seat in the house.
The acoustics definitely leave something to be desired; had a difficult
time hearing the announcers.

There was a small, but vocal contingent of Maine fans at the game.  I think
the team and Coach appreciated it (they high fived the crowd at the end of
the game).  Let's hope there's a bigger turnout of Black Bear fans at
tomorrow nights game.  Lowell isn't THAT far from Orono.

Dan and I will be at the brewery tomorrow afternoon before the start of the
Championship game.  It's only a few blocks from the arena.  Any Maine fans
coming down -- feel free to join us.

Until tomorrow evening......

M-A-I-N-E  --- GOOOOOOOOOOOO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindsay A. Huntoon
Go Black Bears
Anaheim or Bust in 1999!!!!