ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:10:18 EST
In a message dated 11/16/98 4:37:52 PM, clairv wrote:

>we moved down to some empty season
>ticket seats in EEE.  The seats were great but it was a very quiet and
>even non-excited group.

This is where Jack & I have several of our seats, and I know what she means by
quiet.  I have even wanted to take my mirror to some of their mouths.
(Usually I would have joined her as the LOUD folks in the section, but the
coughing crud had me firmly in it's grasp that weekend).  This is a section
where you donate $500 per seat, so you have to extrapolate that these folks
WANT to be there.  What can be done to get them excited?  I have yet to find
the formula which makes it politically incorrect to be dull at a hockey game,
but if anyone has ideas, please share them!

>I can understand, I guess, why Season Ticket Holders (STH's) can
>become complacent and after years of game after game begin to act more
>like they are watching TV.  (Although my son and I make more noise
>watching Maine on TV than most of the STH's did at the game!)

All too true.  Also, many folks were spoiled by the magic '93 season, and no
longer believe that they are not important to the team's performance on the
ice.  Although the guys talk about crowd participation as vital to their
ability to win, it hasn't become part of the psyche of the average fan.  They
just do not believe they can be the "7th player" for the Bears.

>   3. DO increase general public seats

YES!!!  AND PUBLICIZE THIS AS WIDELY AS POSSIBLE!!!

AND set aside a section for
>those who want to be noisy.

How can this be done within the abilities of the Ticket Office?  I think this
is asking way too much of an already overburdened system.  And really - don't
you think it better to be one loud voice in a quiet section, who good
naturedly gets the rest of the crowd going?  I can usually make eye contact
with some kids in my section who enjoy being loud, and they help me to get
some more folks going.

Some of us like to be noisy and like to
>sit with other noisy people. I believe the University has a
>responsibility to make the athletic facilities available to alums and
>the general public and 4,000 STH's is already too many.

Can I disagree again?  4,000 STH's pay good money to hold those seats.  Merely
mentioning this publicly as an option will probably have letters flying to Sue
Tyler's office complaining as if it were a done deed.  Another thing -  I
would never suggest turning anyone away.  I just want to find a way to get
them to be LOUD!!!

Cathy Hart
Proud Volunteer for the Finest College Hockey Program in the Nation!