ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:56:08 -0500
>I got Penny's point about the university not being
>more student-centered.  I hope it her article makes
>more people realize this.

Melissa (and Penny, since you just responded) -

Today's lesson is: Education or Entertainment ?

The University of Maine is indeed student-centered.  You are unfortunately
confusing academics with the functioning of a sports entertainment
operation.
I hope you take this opportunity to further your education, perhaps out of
a formal class.  Allow me to suggest a reading list:

College Athletes for Hire : The Evolution and Legacy of
the NCAA's Amateur Myth

College Sports, Inc.

Games Colleges Play : Scandal and Reform in
Intercollegiate Athletics

The Hundred Yard Lie : The Corruption of College
Football and What We Can Do to Stop It

Major Violation : The Unbalanced Priorities in Athletics
and Academics

Unsportsmanlike Conduct : Exploiting College Athletes

Win at Any Cost : The Sell Out of College Athletics

Melissa, talk to your friends at other universities with top-rank sports
programs; those in a nationally-known football or hoops conference,
perhaps.  Try a program where the undergraduate enrollment is large, the
seating venue for sports is proportionally small, yet interest in that
sport is HUGE. Our "problem" is not unique.

To others of you at Orono:  I'm afraid this last three month's thread is
confirmation our beloved Marsh Islanders have settled into the "big-time"
college sports mode of the 1990's.

If you think our scenario is limited only to programs like Notre Dame in
football, or Duke in basketball, you're WRONG.  A major contributor to this
situation at Maine was our national championship. The other contributor is
the still-limited seating of the Alfond (demand far outracing supply).

I'll start reposting complaints on HOCKEY-L (the discussion group on
college hockey in general) about ticket difficulties at other hockey sites.
We are not alone.

Sorry for the reality check...

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***