ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:50:28 -0500
I am going to post the story that appeared in today's Maine Campus.
It's on Jeff Libby.

By Bill Stewart
Maine Campus staff

It always seems to come in cycles.
The University of Maine hockey program was rocked with another calamity
this week when it learned that former Black Bear Jeff Libby suffered an
injury that in all likelihood will end his skating career.
Libby, who played for Maine from 1995-97, suffered a severe eye
laceration during a game last weekend in St. John's when playing for
the AHL's Lowell Lockmonsters in a play that has been described as
"freaky."
Libby, 24, was rushed to the Health Science Center in St. John's last
Saturday night after catching a skate in his eye from St. John's Mark
Deyell's skate. Deyell was apparently upended by a Lockmonster player
and his skate cut deep into the area of his eyes.
According to Maine hockey coach Shawn Walsh, Libby underwent
preliminary surgery and was relocated to Boston's Eye and Ear Infirmary
yesterday.
"The fear is that he may lose an eye," Walsh said. "It appears his
playing days are over, but when I talked to him he was in high spirits."
Although no doctor could comment on the situation, Mary Leach, director
of public affairs at Massachusetts Eye and Infirmary, said Libby
received a lengthy evaluation last night before being discharged from
the infirmary.
"He's been evaluated," she said. "His duration of stay really depends
on his prognosis."
At approximately 7:15 last night, Libby was discharged from the
infirmary and is scheduled to make return visits for further tests.
Walsh received word his former standout defenseman was injured when
Libby's agent phoned him with the news.
"He said I've got some bad news for you," Walsh said. "My initial
thought was paralysis."
Upon hearing the news, members of the Black Bears who had a chance to
play with Libby felt the shock waves.
"It was devastating to hear," said senior captain David Cullen, who
roomed with Libby on road trips. "It definitely goes to show how fast
things can end. Our hearts go out to him."
"I was shocked," Maine's Hobey Baker candidate Steve Kariya said. "We
just hung out with him over the JC Penney weekend. What happened was so
tragic."
While news of the injury rippled through the program, Cullen and Kariya
acknowledged how life and hockey were put into perspective.
"Whether you have a bad game or a bad day it just puts everything into
perspective," Kariya said. "I think everyone takes their health for
granted. Hockey wise, you just never know when it is going to end."
"It shows how fast things can end," Cullen said.
The accident was the second to shake the program recently as it comes
in the wake of the death of former hockey player Lee Saunders, who died
this summer in Europe.
"Libby's accident isn't a tragedy like Lee's," Walsh said. "Libby's is
more a setback, he just has to do a different career."
Libby, although born in Germany, is from Waterville where he played for
coach Bob Ewell at New Hampton Prep after four years at Waterville High
School
The former All-State choice helped lead Waterville to the state
championship in 1990-91. While at Maine, Libby recorded 37 points in 68
games, including eight goals before being offered a lucrative contract
with the Islanders.
The offer prompted Libby to leave school early and sign a professional
contract.
One of several hockey Bears the program has seen leave school early to
pursue a professional career, Libby has indicated he plans to finish
his degree here.
"It would be important," Walsh said.