ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 00:59:21 -0400
At 11:25 PM 10/23/98 -0400, Jacob Metzler wrote:
>Well as a 3rd-yr student I would like to comment on a couple of things.
>
>1) The balcony was packed and I saw students distributed in other areas
>throughout Alfond which is a good sign.  There were some empty seats
>but not many(less than I expected to see) and definately no less than
>most other home games in the last 3-yrs under normal conditions(non-BU,
>UNH games, no storms...you get my drift) so as far as student support,
>it's definately there in a big way.

I agree it was a great turnout, but can guess how many students it was?
Under 800 is the answer.  I also learned (and was posted here I think) that
even in 92-93 when Maine hockey was king the most students ever picked up
were 1100 tickets.

The students were great tonight, but they will probably see a reduction
since they've never picked up 1500 tickets.

BTW, Shawn Walsh was serving breakfast at Stewart Commons this morning to
rally the troops. That is dedication folks.

>3) Mike Morrison is the man! I mean sure this wasn't BC he was facing
>but he still made several GREAT saves and a shut-out is a shut-out.  He
>definately impressed me tonight.  A little healthy competition between
>Alfie and him won't hurt a thing, it can only help this team. And with
>2 shut-outs already that's a good sign.

A shutout in your first game is a great accomplishment for a freshman, no
matter who the opponent, no doubt.  Maine certainly has depth in goal,
something we haven't had since Blair Marsh graduated and Blair Allison
defected.

>4) Band noise, well I am impartial since I was sitting DIRECTLY next to
>them.  My left ear is still ringing...So I don't know how the noise
>spread throughout the building but it was loud up in the balcony and it
>also made it hard to hear the NEW siren(after maine goals).  I don't
>know how it was in other parts of the arena.

It was very loud.  The press box was shielded, but I was conducting some
interviews between games in the tunnell and I had to sneak around the
corner it was so loud down there.

>This is by far the most exciting team game one that I have seen in 3
>years. They made some little mistakes and whatever but they were
>clicking real well for the most part and didn't look as lost as they
>have previously in home weekend #1.  That is definately a good sign.  I
>am really excited and judging by the rest of the MAINE-IACS in the
>stands so are a lot of other people.

I think it really helps to keep the students together.  Those not in the
balcony will see how much fun it is and show up earlier next time.  This is
only going to grow.

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]

"Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's this day-to-day living
that wears you out."    - Anton Chekhov
---