EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:06:06 -0500
Yours is an interesting paragraph, Richard. ...
I would find it pretty amazing, of course, if anyone
were seriously to suggest that Pound's use of
discontinuities stemmed from a "biological predisposition,"
i.e., mental illness.  Almost all of Modernism would
then be subject to similar analysis (and dismissal).
One could say, however, that the non-linear style-
preference of the whole Modernist period drew to
itself certain predisposed, pre-cracked minds that
found in it a new ecological niche, temperaments
that could never have crawled out of the woodwork
in a bourgeois "logical" period.  This idea gets
us into the need for an even more abstract metacritical
perspective, namely, the need to see art-periodization
itself in Darwinian terms as the effect produced on
a culture by Natural Selection when a culture needs
to cope with changing habitat, the changed habitat
offering sudden opportunities to previously suppressed,
marginal mentalities.  This last idea I take at least
half seriously myself.

I won't go on, since I don't wish to rival the paragraph
to which I'm responding.

==Dan P