From:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian D Helland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:42:33 -0500
An open letter to eastern (especially ECAC) hockey fans:

I figured that my plans to seperate the Ivy's from the ECAC would get some
attention.  Let me say that this was one of the biggest issues I had to
deal with when I was drafting this plan:  Is is worth disrupting ECAC
rivalries to create some breathing room in the ECAC for future expansion?
Or should any changes involving the ECAC not involve the Ivy League?  In
my final plan, I choose to divorce the Ivy's from the ECAC because the
ECAC is too big (as is the CCHA).  All I hear from ECAC-backers is "The
ECAC is fine the way it is!".  Well, what happens if more eastern schools
start D-I programs and want to join either the ECAC or Hockey East?
Should we just let the ECAC balloon to 14, 16, or even 18 teams?  Should
we let the ECAC D-I league become a parody of some of the ECAC D-3 Men's
Leagues (one I believe is 18 teams now)?

My answer is a big, resounding N0. This is one of the biggest future
problems in College Hockey:  Huge, unmanageable conferences.  The CCHA has
entered a critical stage with 12 teams and likely more wanting to join in
a few years.  The ECAC is OK at the moment, but if there is another wave
of expansion in the east, where will all of the teams go?  There needs to
be another conference in the east.  If someone on here has a better idea
than forming an independent Ivy League, then let's hear it.  Otherwise,
I'm sticking to my guns on this final draft.

One final comment:  I must say that some of the eastern Hockey-Lers have
disappointed me with their cute little remarks and obvious indifference to
anything that doesn't directly involve them.  My first version didn't
touch the east at all, which lead to little or no reaction from the
eastern fan base.  My second and third versions involved a ECAC/Ivy League
split.  No surprise, then the sarcastic and cheesy comments came out of
the woodwork: "What Great Lake is UAF near?", "You have nothing better to
do", "The ECAC shouldn't have to change to satisfy some 'master plan'.",
ect, ect, ect.  National Realignment has to be NATIONAL.  It can't favor
one conference over another.  It can't favor one TEAM over another.  I did
some of that in my first draft, but I weeded it out in the final one.

I'm not saying that I'm always right or that everyone else on here is
wrong.  But I've always found it interesting that eastern fans will NEVER
react to ANYTHING unless it involves them.  And if it's something that
they don't like, they start launching cheesy comments and personal attacks
or they just get all huffy about it.  If you don't agree with what I'm
proposing, fine.  But at least have a better response than a cheap-shot or
a self-serving comment.

Brian
(GO SIOUX!!!)
Fighting Sioux Hockey