EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
James Atkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 1998 12:57:15 -0500
Responding To:    Tanya Adele Koehnke <[log in to unmask]>
Original Date:            Sat, 30 May 1998 09:31:40 -0500

> I now have another (possibly related) question:  Has anyone read Pound's
> "A Quinzaine for this Yule"?

<snip>

>  I am of
> course very curious as to whether or not the contents of this book
> coincide with "Villonaud for this Yule"

Tanya:

A _Quinzine for this Yule_ is not the same as, nor does it include,
_Villonaud for this Yule_. It is, rather, a collection of poems selected
from Pound's Venetian sketch-book "San Trovaso."  I have a facsimile
edition published (in 500 copies) by the Bibliographical Society of the
University of Virgina, but I think that New Directions has a trade edition
as well.

Are you aware of "A Villonaud:  Ballad of the Gibbet (or the Song of the
Sixth Companion"?  If you enjoy "Villonaud for this Yule" you might like
this one as well.  Here is the first stanza to whet your appetite:

Drink ye a skoal for the gallows tree!
Fran¨ois and Margot and thee and me,
Drink we the comrades merrily
That said us, "Till then" for the gallows tree!

You can find this in _Personae_, also published in a trade edition by New
Directions.

James Atkinson