From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1992 02:28:46 EST
Q1: Dave's question about penalties and power plays.  I checked his box, and
  this is what happened and what I believe is the answer:
  19:01 LSSU Moger roughing
        OSU Riedel roughing, high-sticking

  What happens in this situation, is that the roughing minors cancel and the
  high-sticking minor to Riedel results in an LSSU power play immediately.
  But Riedel and Moger must still serve their entire penalties, and since
  they cancel and do not result in any effect upon manpower on the ice, they
  cannot return to play until the next whistle following expiration of their
  penalties (here, it never happened since the game ended).  Since the high-
  stick causes a power play, OSU must send a man to the box to serve this.
  That's why OSU had two men in the box - Riedel and the player serving the
  PP-causing two minutes - so that if the penalty expired, OSU could return
  to full strength.  If LSSU had scored on the PP, the other OSU player would
  have come out while Riedel remained in the box.

  Here's what would have happened if the penalties had been assessed at, say,
  10:00 so that it would all play out:

  10:00  Moger(LSSU), Riedel(OSU) & Player X(OSU) in box.  LSSU PP.
  (11:00)  LSSU scores PPG.  Player X out of box, teams at even strength,
  or (12:00) PP expires, Player X out of box immediately, even strength.
  12:00  Moger out of box at 1st whistle following 12:00.
  14:00  Riedel out at 1st whistle following 14:00.

  Note that even though the high-sticking minor may have effectively expired
  with a PPG at 11:00, Riedel must *still* serve the entire four minutes,
  although the team itself is no longer penalized in terms of on-ice manpower.

Q2: From Robin on a player picking up and using an opponent's stick.  This
  is very interesting, I cannot find anything to address this so I would
  expect it is okay.  Nothing says you must use your own stick or a stick
  belonging to your team.  (However, you cannot participate in the play while
  carrying more than one stick - but this doesn't appear to be the case here.)
  Now, the question is, if the opponent grabs the stick to try to get it
  back, is it holding?  The rule specifically says "holding an OPPONENT'S
  stick" (emphasis mine), but the stick isn't really his!  For purposes of
  this, it may be that since the player who picked it up is using it, it is
  considered now to be his stick.  But I suspect any official watching all
  of this transpire would be too dumbfounded to philosophize about this and
  whistle a penalty. :-)
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com