From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:22:41 -0800
I don't know about the football schools, but I do know the Pac West
conference strongly supports admitting Simon Fraser into the NCAA as a
Division II member.  In 1997-98 the conference included Montana-Billings,
Seattle Pacific, Alaska Anchorage, Alaska Fairbanks, Chaminade, Hawaii Hilo
and Western New Mexico.  Central Washington, Lewis and Clark State, St.
Martin's, Western Washington, BYU-Hawaii and Hawaii Pacific are all joining
for 1998-99.  Western Oregon is currently a provisional member.  Simon
Fraser will also be a provisional member of the conference while still in
the NAIA and ineligible for post season tournaments.  The conference
sponsors men's and women's basketball, men's and women's cross country and
women's volleyball.

SFU also has varsity teams in field hockey, football, golf, soccer,
softball, swimming and diving, track and field, and wrestling.  They offer
scholarships to Canadians and Americans and are also the defending NAIA
Sears Directors' Cup champions.  As John Edwards stated, there probably will
be no impact if they are admitted to the NCAA, but it is possible that like
Alaska Anchorage and Alaska Fairbanks they could field an NCAA Division I
ice hockey team while remaining an NCAA Division II school if they are
admitted.  I actually think it's an intriguing idea.

There have been a couple of interesting articles in the SFU student
newspaper about their efforts to gain admittance to the NCAA at

http://www.peak.sfu.ca/the-peak/97-1/issue3/ncaa.html and
http://www.peak.sfu.ca/the-peak/97-3/issue8/ncaa.html