From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:30:36 -0600
On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Marcus R Day wrote:

> The current definition of TUC is any team whose win percentage in Div I
> play is > 0.500.  Currently, the term is flawed (imho) and here's why...

The term may be flawed, but the principle makes sense to me. It perhaps
would be better to call it "Tournament-calibre teams" or something along
those lines. Getting hung up on the word "consideration" misses the point of
it, IMHO.

The point of the comparison is to see which teams do better against
higher-quality opposition. That is, to reward teams who do well against
the BUs and Michigan States of the world, as opposed to those who have built
their record by beating up on the weak sisters.

> BU's win percentage is well over 0.500, therefore by **definition**
> they are a team under 'consideration'.   But BU won the regular season in
> HEA, and have received an automatic bid.  So are they really 'under
> consideration'???  No one is 'considering' if they are going to the NCAA.

True, but they are tournament-calibre. Obviously this is so, as they are
going to the tournament. Therefore, it makes sense to me to see whether the
other teams vying for tournament berths have done well against them.

> Merrimack's win percentage is well under 0.500, therefore by definition,
> they are NOT a team under 'consideration.'  But let's say that MC takes
> the HE tourney.  And receive an automatic bid.  So are they really 'under
> consideration'???  No one would consider if they were going to the NCAA.

No, but again they would have shown (by virtue of winning their
conference playoffs) that they are tournament-calibre. That is why they
would be included in the "Teams under consideration" comparison, should
they win HEA. Any conference-winning team immediately becomes a "team
under consideration" for the purposes of PWR.

> So here's my argument..  Why should Boston College's record vs BU count in
> the PWR, and their record vs MC (if they take HE tourney) NOT count in the
> PWR???

BC's record against Merrimack *will* count if MC takes the HEA
tournament, as will everybody else's.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - Carleton (ON) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
                         Behold the power of cheese.