From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:36:08 CST
     I think a definition of preferential aid might be in order.

     If for example a school costs $25,000 and you are determined to show
     $19,000 in need a typical package might consist of:
     $12,000 in grant,
     $5,000 in loan
     and $2,000 in work study
     ... with a family contribution of $6,000

     a preferential aid package would be
     $19,000 in grant (still based on need)
     ... with a family contribution of $6,000 - which may be taken in the
     form of a loan

     It is at the schools discretion how this is divided up
     in fact most schools give various packages to all students depending
     on how much they want them

     My understanding (and experience) is that this is indeed how the ivies
     operate