From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 09:12:39 CST
I felt compelled to comment on Brian's comments regarding the Union-RPI matchup,
due to relationships with people at both schools I may have a clearer picture

>Date:    Wed, 17 Jan 1996 17:59:20 EST
>From:    "Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RPI/Union at the Knick

>Of course I have some comments

>1. Not the best way to beef up your RPI, Rensselaer, (sorry).  With the tr
>traditional dearth of decent NC games, I hate to see the Engineers waste one on
>Union.  Hopefully this one will replace Air Force or Army in the schedule.

Comment: Union currently has a higher RPI index than RPI does, and if the trend
in scheduling continues as it has in the past this will not change.

>2. This game would never have been made before Union broke through last year to
>beat RPI in the first game of the playoffs at Houston Fieldhouse.  The second
>time may just be Saturday.

Comment:This game has been on the table for at least four years, I remember
Buddy mentioning it at least that long ago.  Union was the reluctant party, it
was RPI's assumption that the "Littler" school would give up its home game.  (By
the way...typical of the parochial attitude of RPI fans and local media...lets
not forget in DIII where we both compete Union's programs consistently compete
on a much higher(national) level than RPI's...except their Baseball program)

>3.  I'm not sure how well this game will sell.  Maybe 5,000 tops.  The upper
>deck will definitely be curtained off.

Comment: Maybe true, yet both teams will include it in their season ticket
package...approx 1500+ at Union and I would guess 2500-3000+ at RPI, it is
certainly reasonable to expect them to fill the lower level and maybe even hit
the 8000 the AD's are wishing for

>4.  Why not do a tournament at the Knick with Union and RPI permanent co-hosts.
>Maybe even a New York State Championship, although that means re-playing ECAC
>opponents.  RPI was forced into taking this game by the people in the Sports
>Foundation.  Closing the operating "deficit" at the Knick has become a major
>concern for Albany County, and this is another way to get more events into the
>Arena.  RPi has definitely benefited from the Foundation's efforts in securing
>the NC$$'s.

out of my realm, although each teams take at the Knick would likely be larger

>5. The Xmas Tournament will not be moved to the Knick.  Great question though
>Jason!

>6. Will there be beer sold for the game? :-)

comment: :-)

>7. Will Union now be a  co-host for the 2001 Frozen Four?

comment: why not?
*
Brian Morris                   RPI--it's a new year
===>If you need any assistance with tickets, accommodations, directions, etc.
for
the East Regionals at the Knick, please feel free to contact me directly.