Sender:
From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:00:56 -0700
Comments:
        [I'm going to put the references at the beginning of this
analysis, since people who are unfamiliar with the information in them
will be totally lost by the end of the current message.]

USCHO's Explanation of the PWR:
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com/news/1998/01/26_pwr.html
Adam Wodon's interview with Selection Committee chair Joe Marsh:
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com/tournament/032097.html
My description of the NCAA Selection Procedure:
        http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/pwframe.html

        [Note that what USCHO refers to as a "comparison point" I call
a "criterion", and what they call a "PWR point" I refer to as a
"pairwise comparison" (PWC).  I'm trying to avoid using the word
"point" for clarity's sake, but I have at times used it to refer to a
criterion within a comparison.]

        Although the NCAA Selection Committee no longer uses the
Ratings Percentage Index exclusively to seed the national tournament,
it still has special status in the current pairwise comparison scheme.
It is one of the five criteria used when comparing each pair of teams
(along with common opponents, record vs the top 20, record vs teams
under consideration and head-to-head wins), but it is also used to
resolve a comparison if if each team wins the same number of criteria.
This means RPI effectively counts as one and a half criteria.  (It
should be pointed out that each head to head win contributes to the
comparison, so head-to-head record can be worth as much as six
"ordinary" criteria if a WCHA team sweeps a four-game RS series and a
two-game playoff series with another TUC.)  On top of this, after the
comparisons have been determined, the RPI is also used as an ultimate
tiebreaker if an odd number of teams cannot be separated in the
seeding process on the basis of their comparisons.

        One way to reduce the dominance of RPI in the selection
process would be to use it only as a tiebreaker and not count it as an
individual criterion in a pairwise comparison.  (In this case, RPI
would effectively count as half a criterion, rather than one and a
half.)  I calculated the pairwise comparisons from the current results
<http://www.uscollegehockey.com/schedules/confsched.cgi?19971998+ncaa+d1>
first using the current method, and then without including RPI as a
criterion, and here are the results:

        Real Pairwise Comparisons:

    Team         PWR  RPI                  Comparisons Won
 1 North Dakota   22 .624 MiNHMSBUYaBCMmSCWiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
 2 Michigan       21 .606   NHMSBUYaBCMmSCWiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
 3 New Hampshire  20 .616 __  MSBUYaBCMmSCWiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
 4 Mich State     19 .600 ____  BUYaBCMmSCWiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
 5 Boston Univ    18 .615 ______  YaBCMmSCWiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
 6 Yale           17 .584 ________  BCMmSCWiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
 7 Boston Coll    16 .565 __________  MmSCWiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
 8 Miami          15 .569 ____________  SCWiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
 9 St Cloud       14 .561 ______________  WiCgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
10 Wisconsin      13 .553 ________________  CgOSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
11 Colgate        12 .545 __________________  OSCkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
12 Ohio State     11 .544 ____________________  CkNMNECCCrMDPnLSRPPvDa
13 Clarkson        9 .529 ______________________  NMNECCCr__PnLSRPPvDa
14 Northern Mich   7 .527 ________________________  NECCCr____LSRPPvDa
15 Northeastern    7 .513 __________________________  CC__MDPnLSRPPvDa
16 CO College      7 .520 ____________________________  CrMDPnLSRPPvDa
17 Cornell         6 .519 __________________________NE__  MDPnLS__PvDa
18 Minn-Duluth     6 .509 ______________________CkNM______  __LSRPPvDa
19 Princeton       5 .509 ________________________NM______MD  __RPPvDa
20 Lake Superior   4 .501 __________________________________Pn  RPPvDa
21 Rensselaer      3 .493 ______________________________Cr______  PvDa
22 Providence      1 .495 ________________________________________  Da
23 Dartmouth       0 .469 __________________________________________

        Modified Comparisons without RPI criterion:

    Team         PWR  RPI                  Comparisons Won
 1 Mich State     22 .600 NDMiNHYaBUWiBCSCOSCgMmCkNEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
 2 North Dakota   21 .624   MiNHYaBUWiBCSCOSCgMmCkNEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
 3 Michigan       20 .606 __  NHYaBUWiBCSCOSCgMmCkNEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
 4 New Hampshire  19 .616 ____  YaBUWiBCSCOSCgMmCkNEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
 5 Yale           18 .584 ______  BUWiBCSCOSCgMmCkNEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
 6 Boston Univ    17 .615 ________  WiBCSCOSCgMmCkNEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
 7 Wisconsin      14 .553 __________  BCSC__CgMmCk__MDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
 8 Boston Coll    13 .565 ____________  SC__CgMm__NEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
 9 St Cloud       13 .561 ______________  OSCg__CkNEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
10 Ohio State     13 .544 __________WiBC__  ____CkNEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
11 Colgate        12 .545 ________________OS  Mm__NEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
12 Miami          12 .569 ______________SCOS__  __NEMDLSPnCCNMRPCrPvDa
13 Clarkson       11 .529 ____________BC____CgMm  NE____PnCCNMRPCrPvDa
14 Northeastern    7 .513 __________Wi____________  MDLSPnCC______PvDa
15 Minn-Duluth     7 .509 ______________________Ck__  LS____NMRPCrPvDa
16 Lake Superior   7 .501 ______________________Ck____  PnCC__RPCrPvDa
17 Princeton       6 .509 __________________________MD__  __NMRPCrPvDa
18 CO College      5 .520 __________________________MD__Pn  NMRPCr____
19 Northern Mich   5 .527 ________________________NE__LS____  RP__PvDa
20 Rensselaer      4 .493 ________________________NE__________  CrPvDa
21 Cornell         4 .519 ________________________NE________NM__  PvDa
22 Providence      2 .495 ________________________________CC______  Da
23 Dartmouth       1 .469 ________________________________CC________

        One thing that leaps out immediately is that the comparisons
are much less transitive without RPI as a criterion (i.e., if team A
beats team B and team B beats team C, team A is less likely to beat
team C).  Out of 252 comparisons, 20 are won by the team with the
lower PWR[*], as opposed to only 7 in the current scheme.  (For

  [*] When I talk about ranking teams by their PWR, that includes
  breaking ties with individual comparisons, or if that's unresolved,
  with the RPI.  Thus no teams are considered to be tied in the PWR,
  even if they've won the same number of overall comparisons.

reference, the modified scheme has 35 comparisons won by the team with
the lower RPI, compared to 11 in the actual one.)  This doesn't cause
too much trouble for seeding small numbers of teams, but it actually
makes deciding the field of twelve for the NCAAs very tricky.  The
field is supposed to be determined by pairwise comparisons among the
"bubble" teams, but who makes it in depends on how big the bubble is
taken to be.  For instance, if we compare Colgate, Miami and Clarkson,
Clarkson and Colgate are in and Miami out.

        If we also add BC, St. Cloud and Ohio State to the bubble, and
look at comparisons among those six teams, BC, SCSU and Clarkson each
win three comparisons, Colgate, Miami and Ohio State two.  Ohio State
loses pairwise comparisons to both Colgate and Miami and so in that
case, they'd be the odd team out.

        If we expand our definition of the bubble to include teams
ranked 8 through 16 in the overall PWR, we get a "local PWR" that
looks like

   Team         lPWR RPI   Comparisons Won
 8 Boston Coll    6 .565   SCCgMm____NEMDLS
 9 St Cloud       6 .561 __  Cg__OSCkNEMDLS
10 Colgate        5 .545 ____  MmOS__NEMDLS
11 Miami          5 .569 __SC__  OS__NEMDLS
12 Ohio State     5 .544 BC______  CkNEMDLS

13 Clarkson       4 .529 BC__CgMm__  NE____
14 Northeastern   2 .513 ____________  MDLS
15 Minn-Duluth    2 .509 __________Ck__  LS
16 Lake Superior  1 .501 __________Ck____

That's hardly decisive, so I'd say BC and St. Cloud are in and Lake
State is out, and look at the comparisons among the remaining teams:
   Team         lPWR RPI Comparisons Won
10 Colgate        4 .545   MmOS__NEMD
11 Miami          3 .569 __  OS__NEMD
12 Ohio State     3 .544 ____  CkNEMD

13 Clarkson       3 .529 CgMm__  NE__
14 Northeastern   1 .513 ________  MD
15 Minn-Duluth    1 .509 ______Ck__

this then tells us to consider Miami, and Clarkson, each of which has
won a comparison with only one of the others, and when this tie is
resolved based on the Ratings Percentage Index, Miami and Ohio State
are in and Clarkson is out, leading to the same field we'd get if we
used the *real* PWCs.

        If we use the most methodical method, ranking the teams by
total PWR, throwing out the teams at the very top or bottom (whichever
comes closer to leaving the same number of teams above and below the
cutoff, and both if they're the same), recalculating the number of
comparisons won among those teams, and repeating the process, we'd
once again get down to Clarkson, Miami and Ohio State, and get the
same field as before.

        Once the field is chosen, the seedings would also come out
different with the modified PWCs; with the existing criteria BU and
Michigan get byes that would go to Yale and Michigan State if the RPI
were removed as a criterion.  But then the ordering of the top three
teams within each region has been changing from week to week anyway,
so it's not surprising that tweaking the criteria changes them.

        What's the moral?  Well, I'm trying to avoid injecting my own
opinion here, but is seems that if this modification were made to the
criteria for pairwise comparisons, the algorithm for picking the field
of twelve would need to be clarified a bit beyond "look at the
comparisons among the bubble teams".  With RPI included as a
criterion, the comparisons are only slightly non-transitive, so any
definition of "the bubble" is likely to give the same results.  Not so
if it were removed.
                                         John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     Official Scorer/PA Announcer
                                        U of Utah Ice Hockey Club