From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 1994 14:08:57 EST
There have been recent references to the near-fatal injury that happened to
Elmira's Mike McNamara.  Could someone fill me in on why he was hurt so badly?
Unless his helmet flew off before his head hit the ice, I don't see how it
could have been so serious.  I've taken many a hard tumble and the helmet
made it a non-issue.  Earlier this year, while coaching a youth hockey team
(so therefore not wearing a helmet) I was busy yapping and didn't see a puck
on the ice, stepped on it and had my feet go out from under me, and landed
back-of-the-head first on the ice.  Out cold, slurred speach afterwards, still
seeing stars 20 minutes later.  "You could have suffered brain damage if you
only had any," is how my wife describes it.  :-)  Anyways... so if the guy's
helmet flew off, I'll understand, but I'm at a loss if it stayed on.

Thanks in advance for the info.  Either private Email or posting.  Apologies
if this was covered before I joined the list or was during an ultra-crunch at
work that forced me to skim.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*