From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:34:41 +0800
Parny Hagerman writes:

>Check out UNH game vs. St. A's in 1938 or 9 when Ray PAtten, UNH '39 ,
>scored 7 goals which was matched by Louis Frigon UNH'72? in 1971?

Actually the UNH Media Guide for the past several years has credited Patten
with 6 goals in that game, a total which he confirmed in a letter to UNH's
75th anniversary committee last season.  The record was subsequently tied
by Karl Adams (vs. Bowdoin, 1942) and Ken McKinnon (vs. UConn, 1961).  In
fact, McKinnon told me once that when he scored six, if he had known one
more would have broken the record he would have gone for it in the 10-4
rout of UConn.

Louis Frigon never scored six or seven in a game but at the end of his
senior year (1971) he had 10 points (3 goals, 7 assists) in a 15-7 win over
Colgate. One other interesting factoid is that Jon Fontas (uncle of
UMass-Lowell's Dan Fontas and UMass-Boston's Mark Fontas) had 12 goals in
three consecutive road games in 1978.  He started out with a hat trick at
Providence, then four vs. Clarkson, followed by five (4 in one period) at
Colgate.  Despite scoring 25 goals in the three games, UNH went 1-2.  Those
were the days.

Greg Ambrose
Co-Editor, BlueLines
Official Newsletter of the Friends of UNH Hockey