From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:02:11 -0500
Originally I meant to include this in my other message, but as it grew in
length, I feared that this request would be overshadowed or overlooked.

It has been a bit comforting to receive email and see comments from various
people who support other programs with regard to this matter.  It's good to
read what so many other people have said.  It is just a day after the news
was made public, but I already have a dozen email messages from other folks
expressing concern with this move, and I counted upwards of a dozen more
posted by people outside Merrimack on the Merrimack and USCHO message
boards.

So, I have decided that I would like to print those and send them to the
Board of Trustees, who hired the school president, as an example of what
the college hockey world thinks about this decision.  I must say that I
find it difficult to recall a situation in the past in which a coach was
let go, where there seemed to be so many people not connected with the
school in question who raised concerns with what happened.

It just serves to reinforce the feeling of me and others around the program
that this was the wrong thing to do.

If any of our college hockey friends have a moment and would like to send
me a few words -- write as much or as little as you wish -- that I could
add to the growing collection of thoughts, I would be pleased and honored
to accept them.  The more, the better, however short or long they may be.

Please feel free to add your affiliation, such as what school you graduated
from and what year.

The college has long said that it values the prestige and publicity it has
received from icing a Division I team (despite its lack of commitment to
same).  I hope that some examples of just what kind of publicity they have
received will make an impact upon someone "up there".

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****          Color Voice of Warrior Hockey  WCAP 980 AM           *****
*****        Unofficial Warrior Hockey home page located at:        *****
>>>    U.S. College Hockey Online http://www.uscollegehockey.com/     <<<

"I'm disgusted.  Merrimack's problems have nothing to do with Ronnie.
(Bruins coach) Pat Burns couldn't win coaching in that rink."

- 1988 Hobey Baker winner and all-time leading scorer Jim Vesey on the
  school's decision not to renew the contract of Ron Anderson, 2/17/98