From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:00:48 -0600
Mark Lewin wrote:

> What burns me is the inconsistency of calls.  If it's a penalty in the
> first period, then it's a penalty in overtime. I don't buy that crap
> about the refs not wanting their calls to determine the outcome of the
> game. A goal scored on a power play in the first period counts just as
> much as one scored in ot. As long as the referee makes it clear early what
> he will and what he won't allow, then he does not control the outcome of
> the game. Instead it's the stupid player who commits the penalty.

All I can say is HEAR! HEAR!  My sentiments exactly.

One other comment - sometimes I get a very good look at a penalty, the
penalty is called (like holding, tripping, interference, etc) and the ref
skates over to the box and gives the signal for cross checking, slashing,
etc.  To a great extent, it doesn't matter - 2 min is 2 min.  But I wonder
if sometimes in the heat of battle and trying to call a game what registers
in the ref's mind is "somebody did something wrong" rather than a precise
memory of what actually happened.

Overall, I think the refs do a pretty creditably job.  Unfortunately what
sticks in your mind is the call they blew against your team and you tend to
forget the balancing bad call against the other team.  But of course, that
brings up another beef - I really don't like the fact penalties typically
even out by the end of the game.  C'mon - just how naive do they think we
are?

Tom Rowe                                         [log in to unmask]
UWSP Dept. of Psychology          I am in the prime of senility
Stevens Point, WI  54481             ***********************