From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 16:07:44 EDT
> There are good things to look forward to.

> Steve Weisfeldt writes:
>> >I've always thought that Ron Anderson teams were excellently coached.
>> >Never had the "blue-chip" player, and probably regulated to the 6-7-8
>> >spot for the near future, but I've always felt that his teams were the
>> >hardest working teams in HE.  Over the years, probably the only team
>> >in Hockey East that would "show up" for EVERY game.

> I don't speak for Merrimack, but thanks for your kind comments, Steve.
> On the other hand, it is truly agonizing to hear the phrase "hardest
> working team" applied to Merrimack, because we know it's really a
> metaphor for "not too far above lousy".  One thing Anderson said five
> years ago has always stuck in my mind: "We want to get to the point
> where teams come in here and beating us makes their season."  Not just
> that well, at least Merrimack's going to give them a good game.

> On your last sentence, I would say that there have been times that I
> have felt they did not show up.  I think when people outside Merrimack
> don't expect much from the Warriors, it is easier to say that they
> always show up, at least.  I can tell you Anderson's comments have
> been clear in that he has not felt that they have always come to play.
> He also expects more from them than anyone around, as he should.

I hope my comments weren't taken as insulting, because they certainly
weren't meant to be.  And yes while a statement like "hardest working
team" does imply some sense of inferiority, my point was that I always
thought Anderson's teams played above their ability-level far more often
than any other team in the league.  As the recent regular season was
winding down, I was praying for someone other than Merrimack (this was
before the Maine debacle) would finish in 7th place.  No way did I want to
play Merrimack in the first round of the HE play-offs!!

   - Steve