From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 1994 20:07:49 MDT
From the sunday colorado springs gazette telegraph  (without permission)

[ Ralph Routon's Byline ]

[ deletia ]

"It's quite an honor," said Lucia, who came to CC from Alaska
Fairbanks.  "When we left Alaska back in August with a 5-day-old baby,
I never dreamed something like this was possible so soon."

[ deletia ]

"This really is another team award and a staff honor," Lucia said.
"You cant receive something like this without having a great group of
guys playing for you and some great coaches working with you.  Our
assistants, Scott Owens and Mark Tabrum, really did an outstanding
job.

"It really was a storybook season.  You can coach a lot of years and
not enjoy something like this team was able to achieve."

The only regret was being overlooked for a berth in the NCAA
tournament, which Lucia still views as a sad mistake.

"As much of an honor as this is," Lucia said, "I'd trade it for an
NCAA bid."

[ deletia ]

"In the first half of the year, recruiting was very difficult for us.
But our success has opened a lot of kids' eyes.  We're on track to
have a really solid recruiting year."

What can Lucia do now for an encore, after becoming national coach of
the year in his first CC season?

"Maybe now we can get that new arena built.  We also want to have a
program that stays within the ideals of Colorado College, putting
academics first, but also be able to finish in the top half of the
league every year instead of once every 15 to 20 years.

"And we don't want to wait another 37 years to win another
championship.  This was too much fun."

[ deletia ]

---- end quoted material  --

this column received 3 of the 4 1/4 page high columns on page 2 of the
sunday gazette telegraph.  the AP story on LSSU beating BU had the
other column.

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369