Sender:
From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:44:13 -0500
Eeyore wrires:

>It's not like Chris Drury isn't scoring at all.  Yes, Krog has a large
>lead (15) in
>the points race, but this is a gap that could be made up by defensive
>play.  It also
>looks to me like Krog is getting a lot more help from linemates than Drury is.
>Drury has 50% more points than the second leading forward scorer for BU,
>and twice
>as many points as the #3.  This may be due to line shuffling by Jack
>Parker, but to
>an outsider, it gives the appearance that Drury isn't getting the kind of
>support
>that Krog is.

Conversely, perhaps Krog is helping his linemates more than Drury is
helping his.  I have observed Drury enough to know that he is not the
playmaker that Krog is.  Krog makes his line go, Bekar has fed off him all
year along with the various left wings the have had.

>Also, you say, "Voting for the award should be based on a player's all around
>abilities and contribution to the team," and then cite only scoring
>totals.  If it's
>based on everything, then what else does Krog do for UNH?  Taking your
>paragraph as
>a whole, you seem to say that there are a lot of guys, "solid defensive
>forwards,"
>who will never get a mention for the Hobey and that these contributions,
>"all around
>abilities" ought to count in people's thinking.  Yet I end up feeling that
>you don't
>take them into consideration.  Krog leads the nation in scoring, so he's
>the obvious
>choice.

Iguess I didn't make my point correctly.  I was trying to point out that
Krog's offensive abilities AND improved defensive tenacity outweigh Drury's
superior defense and, based on the statistics, diminished offense.
Emphasis on Drury's defense rather than his offense this year implies that
only he is the "whole" package.  Let me tell you, Krog is too.

>> I'll pass,I'm going to assume that you don't have to be a math major to be
>> on the Hobey Committee
>
>Numbers don't necessarily mean what they say at first glance.  If you're
>going to
>base your arguments entirely upon the stats, it helps to delve into what they
>actually mean.  No, you don't have to be a math major to be on the selection
>committee.  This in part explains some of the bad selections they've made
>(though
>they have a long way to go to catch up to the folks who select baseball
>MVPs when it
>comes to boneheaded decisions).

If you're a rotisserie guy, the discussion has ended.  My one year of
rotisserie baseball almost killed my love for the sport.  God forbid if the
same thing happened in college hockey.  Perish the thought!

>As to UNH defensemen, I have no way of judging them.  BU and MSU put +/-
>on their websites, so I had a starting point.  After that, it requires
>>observation.

you know, that's the way all these awards, and polls, should be voted on, eh?

>I won't see the Wildcats unless they make it to the Final Four (I doubt
>that they'll
>be sent to the West Regional in Ann Arbor).

Here's hoping they'll be there (I doubt it too).

Greg Ambrose
GO UNH BLUE!!!
JASON FOR HOBEY!!!