ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:00:24 EST
Have to disagree with you on this one, John!

Just as I chastised poor Dan Hannigan a couple seasons ago for cheering louder
when the opposing teams scored, I chastise anyone posting to this list who
describes the Maine Hockey team in terms that could so easily be more positive
and still be accurate.

This may sound calculated, but please bear with me!  Anyone who deals in
communication knows there are ways to say almost anything palatably, and
decriptive terms can be manipulated most easily.  I see a tendency in all
types of the media to downplay Maine's accomplishments, leaving a lingering
image of a team vaguely percieved as less worthy of respect, of loyalty, of
honor, of fans.  This simply does not fit my perception of the Bears at all.

Sorry, Coach, it may just have been a sound bite, but the "boring" description
was not applicable for me.  I was very happy to hear the Bears on the radio
Friday night, but even happier to see them against BC (with Dan Hannigan
instead of the tv for sound!!).  I have had a crappy holiday season, and the
lack of Maine Hockey made everything that much less lustrous.  Knowing the
players as I do, to me it was extremely interesting to watch them play a game
plan so different from their usual.  Knowing them to be wanting to get in a
little offense, it was fascinating to watch a Bobby Stewart, or a Jason Price
take on roles they must not have felt completely comfortable with but which
they managed to perfom admirably.  Yes, it wasn't the offensive powerhouse of
'93, but it was still Maine Hockey, and the strategy and skill I admire in the
team and the Coaches was certainly in evidence and very entertaining.

Anyone who reports for a nationally read/seen/heard audience, go ahead and be
as "neutral" as you percieve your audience/employer to want as you file your
report.  Just don't expect me to agree with the way you write it!  The facts
can fit in almost any packaging.  I'd like to see a little more Maine Blue in
the wrapping just once in a while.  Especially when they are NOT winning!

Cathy Hart
Happy that now I can go to a Maine Hockey Game and SCREAM!!!!