Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1993 17:41:18 -0500
I just thought I'd add a few comments to Greg's summary of the game.

In reference to the Red's lack of scoring opportunities,  you're not
going to score if you're constantly a man down.  Part of this is due
to the fact that this Cornell team is the biggest one in years, so they
are playing a very physical game.  That combined with a very young
defense makes you expect a lot of penalties.  The up side to this is
that they have gotten so much practice at killing penalties they have
become quite good at it.

The Red's biggest problem in recent years has been the ability to get
mad.  When Dartmouth scored the game winner on a power play which I
didn't think they deserved (I saw nothing wrong with Tyler's check,
but then Gallager and I have been known to disagree) Cornell should
have gotten really pissed off.  They should have come out with the
attitude that they were going to show Dartmouth how the game is really
played.  Instead is seems like they need to get a goal before they say,
"Oh, that's what the coach meant by 'score'".  My freshmen year (85-86)
the team had an attitude.  In fact, that's almost all they had, except
for a couple of guys named Joey Nieuwendyk and Doug Dadswell.  It was
their attitude though, that got them an ECAC championship and an NCAA bid.
I've seen no such attitude or desire in this year's team.

The bright point was Andy Bandurski's play in net.  His survival of the
third period in Gutterson seemed to have boosted his confidence.  Saturday
he did very little of his usual flopping on the ice.  He'll turn into a
goalie if he keeps on improving.

The highlight of the game for me was meeting Greg and Ann.  I'm sure I'll
be seeing a lot more of you before the season ends.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!