From:
Dave Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:32:32 EDT
This post has absolutely NO hockey relevance, but if the following is true,
it's worth sharing with our loyal readership.  Consider all below this line as
if in quotes:

I received the following message from someone in my office, and I am sending
it on to you.

I received a telephone call from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T
Service Technician that was running a test on our telephone lines.  He stated
that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero (0), pound sign (#)
and hang up.  Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.  Upon contacting the
telephone company, I was informed     that by pushing 90# you end up giving
the individual that called you access to your telephone line and allows them
to place a long distance telephone call with the charge appearing on YOUR
telephone line.  I was further informed that this scam has been originating
from many of the local jails/prisons.  I have verified this with UCB Telecomm
that this actually happens.

Please beware!  This sounds like an urban legend - IT IS NOT!!!  I called GTE
Security this morning and verified that this is definitely possible.  They
told me DO NOT PRESS 90# FOR ANYONE!!!  The GTE Security Department told me to
go ahead and share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW!!!

Please pass this on.  If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from
organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to include this
information.

-- Okay, are any Hockey-L'ers also connected with any of the major telephone
carriers, and if so, would you care to comment on the above?