From:
Rebecca Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rebecca Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:48:27 -0500
George Downing wrote:
>>Rebecca Moss wrote:
>>
>I think you'll find this is not as "very, very strange and restrictive"
>>as you might think. UNH does the same thing; I suspect many schools do.
>>The reason is, when the students are gone, a large chunk of support
>>personnel is also gone, and not being payed. If the dorms remained >open,
>security, maintenance, dining services, etc., would have to be >running at
>full strength instead of skeleton staff.

I was actually complaining about two different things at once, there... the
fact that the dorms were closed so long (they don't just cut back to
skeleton staff, they shut everything down completely... if you aren't going
anywhere you have to pay for a room in the HoJo's for the week, at  a
discount price, *and* come up with your own meals since the dining halls
are all closed), and the guest rules in the dorms, where if you want to
visit a friend who lives in a dorm without a dining hall, or you want to
get in after the dining hall closes (at 7), your friend needs to sign you
in and you have to leave your ID at the guard booth even though you're a BU
student living in a different dorm.  Don't even get me started on the hoops
you have to jump through for a visitor from another school...

And it wouldn't have been all that hard for them to open, say, *my* dorm,
since I live in a brownstone and we don't have a "support staff" (read:
cleaning lady) on the weekends anyway.

> I would guess that students having to pay for tickets would have a lot
>>to do with it.... As well as the usual hassles of figuring out how to
>>get tickets in the first place...

I had no idea that students had to pay, since like I said, I never bother
with tickets anyway.  Just show up at the back door in my stripey shirt,
clarinet in hand, and they let me in no questions asked!  Which I did
Sunday night, after getting back from N'Awlins... and nearly having a heart
attack when I learned there actually was a game that night!

>> Sunday night, so don't blame them... at least not totally. Blame the
>
>I will, however, be happy to blame the BU administration for just about
>>anything. ;)

You'll have to stand in line behind all the BU students, then...

--Rebecca

        I bleed Terrier scarlet.  But hey, doesn't everybody?