Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:57:43 -0600
John Haeussler wrote:

> Several teams, particularly BU I assume, have similar
> "what if's," but what would Michigan be like with Robb
> Gordon, who would be a senior this season?  An even
> scarier proposition, what would Michigan State be like
> with Mike Watt?

I agree that MSU would be more formidable if Mike Watt has finished out
his eligibility, but I am not so sure about Michigan and Robb Gordon.  If
I remember back to when this year's juniors were freshmen, the one that
was an unheralded walk-on and quite possibly wouldn't have been on the
team or not received enough attention to develop his abilities, was Bobby
Hayes.  I'm unconvinced that the trade of Hayes for Gordon would be a good
one.  He's scored some big goals (like the game winner against Lake State
in the CCHA Final two years ago) and he's the inheritor of John Madden's
mantle as "The Guy Most Likely to Set His Own Hair on Fire".  So, I think
Michigan fans can be pretty happy with what they've got.

Besides, if Bobby weren't on the team, I probably wouldn't have received
such a nice favor from his mother on my return trip from Cincinnati after
the championship, so he'll always rate highly on my list of favorite
Wolverines.

J. Michael Neal