From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:42:47 -0600
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Nathan Eric Hampton wrote:

> 3500 for our three games vs Michigan Tech. Students normally get in with
> just an ID, but the playoff revenue goes to the WCHA and the league does
> not allow any promotions (NO YOUTH HOCKEY) or low-priced tickets
> (students had to pay $5).

The same problem was probably a factor in North Dakota's declined
attendance. Normally this year they sell out (or come very close to it).
However, students had to pay this time and spring break was on at UND.
This, combined with the expectation of an easy sweep probably helped
lower the attendance. (Two of UND's non-sellouts were the Mankato series
earlier in the season.

> People complain about such league policy and that of the NCAA, but I see
> no evidence in their pricing decisions that they are revenue maximizers.
> Or they are just too stupid to know how to maximize revenue.

Letting students in free minimizes revenue. And most of the empty seats I
saw at St. Cloud appeared to be in the student sections. There is
typically a tradeoff that must be made between maximizing attendance and
maximizing revenue.

So the question that has to be asked is: why is $5 (for *playoff* hockey,
people, sheesh) such a deterrent? Is it the fact that one must pay at
all, or is it the amount?

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - Carleton (ON) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
                         Behold the power of cheese.