From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:14:13 -0500
At 08:55 02/16/98 EST, you wrote:
>In the Hockey East Game of the Week between BU and UMASS-Lowell, one of the
>announcers stated that BU freshman Juha Viori was turning 23 this month. That
>means he will be 26 by the end of his fourth year. Is there some sort of NCAA
>regulation that limits the age of athtletes?

here's the deal, as was talked about on the US College Hockey boards. And
the only reason I know anything about this is the Huskers had a player on
the football team that was like 30 or so.

College Athletic Eligibility remains intact until you enter college or play
competitive sports after a certain age(I've heard 21, not sure though). Once
you enter colelge, regardless how old you are, you have a 5 year period
during which you can play for 4 years. The competitive sports clause is
basically every year you play after some age(21?), you lose one year of
eligibilty.

the 5 years to compete in 4 bring about the redshirt freshmen. Instead of
competing in their first year, they just practice and train with the team,
but still have 4 years left to play. Same with transfers, if they hadn't
already redshirted.

If yer still confused, here's about as simple as I can get it
A college freshman can play for 4 years during a five year period from when
he first enters college.
No age limit as long as he hadn't entered college before.
And then there's all the clauses, exemptions, etc.

Ben F.
U!N!O! U!N!O!