From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 13:50:47 -0800
On Mon, 5 Jan 1998 20:59:45 -0500 Greg Ambrose wrote:

> Spoke to a good friend of mine (not on the list) who is a long time BU
> season ticket holder.  He tells me that Greg Quebec is out for the season
> with a broken ankle, Albie O'Connell is out for several games with a
> separated shoulder and Vuori (sp?) did not play vs. Niagara and is among
> the missing.  Is any of this, or most of this true?

Quebec is out for the season, O'Connell should be back soon, and I don't
know about Vuori.  Against Princeton, Parker moved Vuori to the first
line replacing Tommi Degerman.  On Saturday Degerman was back there,
with Vuori earning a DNP.

> In addition, my friend detects that Drury is pressing and (like anyone) is
> having a tough time adapating to all the attention he is getting on (and
> off) the ice.  I wonder how other BU fans see this.

If there is a complaint I have about Chris Drury is that he tries to do
it all.  The great thing about him is that many times he pulls it off.
But this year he is being blanketed, and it is affecting his stats.  If
Hobey voters base their opinions on the current year as opposed to a
career (and I think they should), it may cost him the award.  IMHO, if I
had to vote for Hobey right now it would go to Jason Krog.  As far as
off-ice attention, who'd have thought that a college hockey player would
be victimized by that?

I am still amazed that BU is ranked 5th in the nation in offense.  Their
power play is a joke (Niagara killed two 3x5's on Saturday), and much
pressure is being applied to the line of Drury-Degerman-Sylvia.  Their
penalty killing is exemplary, but that's because having spent so much
time in the box it gets plenty of use.  Much has been said about the
decline in offense throughout college hockey this year, but I don't see
how it relates to BU.  They are responsible for their own mishaps, and
opponents respond well to playing against a perrenial power.  That's why
they play the games.

BTW, on Saturday against Niagara, Drury tied the BU career goal-scoring
record.  He is tied with Terrier greats John Cullen and Bob Marquis.  I
don't know what the statistic is for unassisted goals, but he must be
near the top.  The next game is Friday against (who else) BC.  How do
you think the Eagles would feel about the record being broken on their
home ice?

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller