From:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 22:58:53 -0500
Well I don't think the idea will every fly, but I really don't see the
logic in Robb's argument.

//With all due respect, I hate that idea (not the person, just the idea, no
//flame-war here...).

//Let's be honest here - the ECAC is perceived as a weaker league.  Its top
//few teams are competitive on the national level, but its bottom ones
//(generally) aren't even close.  No doubt, we will soon be deluged with
//posts listing other contributing factors, but one of them has to be that
//the ECAC includes the six Ivies who can only play 29 games and can't
offer
//scholarships.  The only "perk" that these schools can offer to
prospective
//hockey players is (ooooh!) an Ivy League education.

//Getting back to Scott's idea, if you isolate the Ivies (don't even talk
//me about Penn or Columbia!), there is no way that they will be
competitive.
//It would practically be patronizing to refer to that league as Div-1;
//limited schedules, no scholarships - call it Div 1-A, maybe?

//Robb
//Cornell '94

Sorry I cut out parts because I hate long posts;)  But again, I just don't
see the logic for any non-ivy here.  Should a team like SLU or Clarkson, a
tiny, Div-III school be concerned in the least with the "poor ivyies"???
As Robb says, I don't want any flames here, but it is pretty absurd;)  The
whole idea that the ivyies could not be separated from the likes of
Vermont, RPI, SLU, Clarkson and Union is pretty strange indeed:)  And
really, if the ivyies don't want to change and make themselves competitive
(I can finally say this now that SLU has made the leap *cheer*), then that
is really their own problem, and why should these small, one sport schools
have to cater to it?  I would absolutely love to see it happen, if only to
rid the teams of the baggage that Adam Wodon described in his article on
USCHOL (I loved the article BTW:))...As I said, I doubt it would ever
happen, but stranger things have happend right?

Kevin Todd
SLU '96
VLS '00