From:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:34:04 -0500
>ECAC/Heaton Goaltenders of the Week
>
>Chris Bernard (Clarkson)
>Senior (Brasher Falls, New York)
>   Bernard made his first career start and posted 24 saves to carry
>Clarkson to a 4-3 win over eighth-ranked Boston College.  He had played
>just 12:33 in parts of three games prior to the start as he has served as
>Dan Murphy's back-up for the past three seasons.

   From my perspective, this is probably the best story of the young
season in the East.  Those who know Clarkson know that senior goalie
Dan Murphy ALWAYS plays (he has 121 games in his 3+ years.)  Bernard was
given his chance following a tough Clarkson loss at BU on Friday, where
Clarkson played well and had chances but could not get the goals.  He
could have been really uptight with this start, against a good opponent,
and on the road.  But he played really well and was the loosest goalie
I've seen since Sinhue Wallinheimo (Wally) played for Denver.
   During stoppages in play, as the BC band struck up a song, Bernard
would be in his crease, head bobbing to the tune.  Then after a few
seconds his shoulders would start to twitch with the rhythm.  Then the
hips and legs would start.  Nothing wild, not as flamboyant as Wally
was, but it was clear this kid was enjoying himself immensely.
   At the end of the second period, he waited to be the last one off the
ice.  As he exited, he passed a group of very excited youngsters who
were going to play a youth league mini-game before the ice was
resurfaced.  Bernard went down the line, high-fiving everyone, telling
them to "go get 'em", etc.  I've rarely seen a player enjoy the moment
the way that Bernard did.
   And it certainly didn't hurt his play!  He had a strong third period
to hold the lead under some good BC pressure and collect the win.  I am
sure that a lot of Clarkson fans were asking themselves at the start of
the game what the h... was coach Mark Morris doing, starting Bernard?
But it turned out well for all (except BC, of course, who have found it
impossible recently to beat Clarkson -- 8 losses in a row to the Knights.)
   I don't know if he'll get any more playing time this year, but I hope
he does.  He earned it with his effort in this one.
Rick McAdoo                        [log in to unmask]
"Volunteer reporter"               An excited BC fan.  GO EAGLES!