From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:08:08 -0500
Tony makes some good points about ticket prices for Gopher hockey:

>No doubt.  Here at Minnesota, you can get a student season ticket for
>around $10-11 per game.  Regular tickets are $17 (I think, somewhere in
>that area)  It's a nice arena, and they usually have a good team, but the
>prices are outrageous.  When I started at UMD, students were $2, and a
>season ticket was $40 (based on twenty games)  When I left, they had gone
>up to (gasp!) $3 and the reserved general seating was $8-10.

Still, somebody has to pay for the arena. Mariucci Arena is not being paid
for with tax dollars. I have no problem with that; I don't see why anyone
other than hockey fans should pay for it.  In order to reduce ticket
prices, though, the University must replace that revenue with something
else.  There is already advertising on every imaginable surface, so I don't
know how much farther they can go with that.  The bottom line appears to be
that ticket prices will remain high unless a compelling argument can be
made for subsidizing them.

-- Erik

Erik Biever
Unix Network Coordinator
University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library
612-626-6468