From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 20:51:24 -0500
> I have also been thinking for the past several weeks alone some
> similiar lines.  Namely, would you rather have your team win
> the NCAA Championship, but then have it fall on hard times for
> several years and have to try and rebuild? Or would rather have the
> team among the elite programs every year, but repeated fail to win
> the NCAA Championship?

Well, as a Buffalo Bills fan, it's frustrating to see your team as
one of the few elite teams in the league for a number of years, yet
still fail to win the big one. So, Gopher fans, I can understand. :-)

> Basically, do you care more about winning the NCAA Championship, or
> seeing a great team every year?

This is a tough one. While it's nice to see your team as one of the
best for years & years, I'd rather have a championship to show for
the efforts. This is presuming, of course, that your team doesn't
win a title in all of those great years.

Clarkson has been one of the better teams in the NCAA in the 90s. Yet,
they are not at the level of the Maines, Michigans, BUs, etc, etc...
Since I've been following Clarkson, they've always been in the top
echelon of the ECAC. But that's as far as they have gone. Only once,
in 1991, did they get the national attention when they upset LSSU in
the NCAAs.

So, yes. It's nice to have your team be a perennial winner in the
ECAC, but I'd rather see them win in Cincinnati than in Lake Placid.

Andy

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+                                                                     +
+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +
+  Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSI)                      +
+  "If you think nobody cares you're alive, try missing a couple of   +
+   car payments."                                                    +