ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:32:59 -0500
Hello everyone, I am going to post the preview of the weekend series
with Merrimack College.  This article appeared in Today's Maine Campus.

The University of Maine men's hockey team will look to regroup on the
permafrost this weekend when Hockey East rival Merrimack College storms
into Orono for a pair of games.
The Black Bears are coming off one of their most crushing defeats in
recent memory when they dropped a 6-0 decision to nemesis Boston
University last weekend.
"It's embarrassing to lose 6-0 to your arch rival and we don't accept
losses" defenseman David Cullen said. "However, it has been an intense
week of practice."
"To lose 6-0 to your arch rival you have to be able to learn
something," Maine goalie Alfie Michaud said. "They embarrassed us at
home, but the sun shines the next day."
After watching the red light illuminate the building on a regular basis
last weekend, Cullen said the team has been emphasizing defense in
practice this week.
"We weren't pleased letting BU score six times on us," he said. "Our
team defense has to be better. We take pride in having a low
goals-against average and we need to get that back this weekend."
Merrimack, like UMass-Lowell and Providence, will look to test Maine's
physical toughness this week as the Warriors historically cater to that
style of play.
"They are a physical team," Cullen said. "We have to be ready for them
and it is going to take a lot of hard work."
"It's a body contact sport," Merrimack coach Ron Anderson said. "If we
don't have that, then we aren't playing well."
 Maine coach Shawn Walsh said, "We need to make sure we finish our
checks and play the puck. Both teams are coming off disappointing
losses so the emphasis will be on the defense for both teams."
The Warriors dropped two games last weekend to Hockey East foes
Northeastern and New Hampshire by a combined score of 17-8.
"We didn't play well last weekend," Anderson said. "We want to turn it
around this weekend. However, it's always tough in the Alfond because
they are well coached."
Although Merrimack has prided itself by working a capable stingy
defense aimed at eliminating opponents' speed. However, in the early
going this season, they have added an element to their team that has
been lacking in recent years.
"They boast several top-10 scorers in league play," Walsh said. "The
key for us is to play sound defensively. They have some skilled players
up front."
Leading the cast that has added some muscle to their offense are
seniors Rejean Stringer, Casey Kesselring, Martin Laroche and junior
forward Kris Porter. The four have combined for 54 points this season
in just seven games.
"Historically, we have had trouble scoring goals," Anderson said. "So
we're happy to get off to some quick starts. However, it is still
early."
"They can put the puck in the net,"  Cullen said. "They have some big
guns and we'll have to give them a little extra attention."
Although Merrimack has received solid contributions from its three
captains, the youth has paid dividends for the offense as well.
Sophomore Sandy Cohen has made large strides since his inconsistent
freshman season. After bulking up this summer, the Whitby, Ontario,
native has racked up 12 points this year.
"He has a great touch around the net," Anderson said. "He built himself
up, gained 10 pounds and has gotten a little stronger from last season.
"We're off to a good start offensively, but we're struggling
defensively and part of that is an inexperienced goaltender."
The inexperience between the pipes lies in sophomore goalie Chris
Classen, who saw limited action last year as a freshman. This week he
will be tested often, as he will have to face the arduous task of
shutting down the Bear offense.
"He hasn't been in the fire," Anderson said. "He's been steady for us
and is only a sophomore. However, he didn't see much action last year
so he comes in basically as a freshman."
To make life a little more challenging for Classen, Black Bear senior
Scott Parmentier returns to the lineup this weekend after missing
several weeks with a shoulder injury. Parmentier, the team's leading
scorer from a year ago, will play on a line with captain Steve Kariya
and freshman Anders Lundback.
"It's huge to have him back," Kariya said. "He adds a lot of speed and
is a big boost to our line up."
"Parmentier is such a good player," Cullen said. "He works with Stevie
(Kariya) really well and it is good to have him back."
Paw Prints
~Last season Merrimack took the series from the Bears 2-1. Merrimack
edged Maine in overtime 5-4 in their only meeting in Orono last year.
 Maine leads the all-time series 27-6-1.
 Steve Kariya has torched the Warriors in his career, accumulating 10
points in six games against them.
 Of Maine's top ten leading scorers, four of them are freshman (Dan
Kerluke, Matthias Trattnig, Adam Tate, and Anders Lundback).
 Senior forward Shawn Wansborough needs just one point to surpass Paul
Kariya on Maine's all-time scoring list. Both are currently tied at 124
points. However, Wansborough has played more than twice as many games
as the former Hobey Baker Award winner did back in his days in Orono.
 Sophomore forward Corey Larose is not expected to play this weekend as
he is still bothered by an infected ankle.
"If it were right now it doesn't look like I'll be able to play,"
Larose said. "It's extremely tender and I've been on antibiotics. I'm
not 100 percent for sure."