ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:28:20 -0400
Breezers Section
Page 5

by LPH staff reporters
Price is right for No.2 Black Bears

Eden Prairie's native Jason Price, a sophomore defenseman for the University
of Maine, returned home Friday and Saturday, as the Black Bears took on the
Gophers at Mariucci Arena.

According to Maine coach Shawn Walsh, the 6'3' 210 pounder, "did a great
job." especially defensivley Friday when the Black Bears beat the Gophers
6-1. In Saturday's 3-2 loss to Minnesota, Price had an assist, getting the
puck to superstar Steve Kariya, younger brother of the Mighty Duck's Paul
Kariya, who scored on a 1-on-0 breakaway.

"I think (Price) is very pleased with the way he played," Walsh said Friday.
"He was a little hyper about coming home. The whole team had dinner at his
house last night. It was nice."

Price's team, rated No 2 in the nation, has a legitimate chance to win the
national title this year, but Walsh is quick to down play his strong team.

"We had an unbelievable team in '93," said Walsh, referring to the Black
Bears team that won it all. "This is not the '93 team."

That team had Paul Kariya on it. Kariya, a freshman at the time, became the
first freshman to win the Hobey Baker Award.

Paul Kariya ,considered by some the best hockey player in the NHL, has yet to
sign a new contract with the Ducks.

When asked when his former player is going to sign. Walsh said, "I have no
idea."

The only coverage in the paper on Minnesota's team (Gophers) below: (-:

UGLY GAME

Even though the Gophers came back to defeat Maine in a great college hockey
game on Saturday night, many of Minnesota's players were embarrassed by their
showing on Friday.

Captain Ryan Kraft said, "UGLY" is the only word to describe his team's
efforts.

"I can't remember a Gopher team playing that bad," Kraft said."We didn't work
hard as a team. We didn't play offense very well. We didn't play defense very
well."

Saturday, the No .8 Gophers played well in almost all phases of the game.

                      I guess the three didn'ts did them............(-:

Vicki Price