ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:31:05 -0400
[log in to unmask],NNTP writes:
>Now are you saying the NCAA shouldn't be so much like a huge corporation
>(with extravagant payments and privledges for its officers), or are
>you suggesting the athletes should be available for their own cut?

I'm saying the article was interesting and people should read it. :-)

Wayne, you should post some of your thoughts regarding this article!

I thought it was interesting reading and even though I too think that
there was some important information that could have been gathered and
added to the article I think it is always interesting to see how
something like the NCAA works.  I also have not read the rest of the
series, did anyone else?   What was your take?  This seemed a bit too
much like it was attacking the NCAA.

Since you asked.. I have problems with athletes getting money or a
share of the cut, etc.  I don't really agree with the idea that just
because someone is a student athlete that they cannot hold a job, but I
understand the intent.  It is a very dangerous situation to allow
student-athletes to work locally with people very interested in that
team.  I'd almost rather support a flat stipend given to every athlete
regardless of the sport, but then who enforces that?  Just because
someone plays a sport in college shouldn't mean they are destined to be
broke, but what is the best way in general to help them out without
creating more problems?

--
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
University of Maine