ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:04:03 -0400
Ok everybody sorry this is a little late. Here is the story I did at
Midnight Madness focusing on the fans who braved the Orono weather to
come out to the Alfond Saturday night.

The countdown began at 15 seconds. The lights were out, and the naked
five were unveiled for their first full season. UMaine hockey is
underway.
For those who attended Midnight Madness Saturday evening, it was a
chance to catch a glimpse at this years team.
For the first time in two years the Bears can compete for the national
title. As the crowd assembled in their seats, an electric atmosphere
quickly charged the Alfond Arena.
"The chance to go after a national title automatically increases
enthusiasm," said UMaine junior Brian Demoree.  "I wasn't here in 1993,
and I would love to be able to say that my university is the best in
the country."
"I love Maine hockey because it is exciting," said first year student
Alex Claverie.  "I've watched them for a long time and I would love to
see a title come back."
"I can't wait to watch some awesome hockey," added first year student
Tim Adams.  "I'm very optimistic. Hockey is right here, and I'm going
to root for them all year long."
The madness began with the team alternating penalty shots on goalies
Alfie Michaud, Ed Washuk, and Brian Masotta.
Masotta provided early highlights as he stuffed all three of Maine's
captains.
The fan flavor at the Alfond featured spectators of all ages including
Phillip Wolley of Bangor who claimed to be a  100 years old.
"I've followed Maine hockey since it started back in the 1970's," said
Wolley.  lI think the players are excited and are ready to go as far as
they naturally can."
"I've followed hockey, but not really Maine hockey," said first year
student Jessica Esty. "I've heard it's pretty good and exciting though.
They have sent a lot of players to the NHL."
Bob Nabonzny, member of the Bangor Youth Hockey Board of Directors,
said there is a direct correlation between the improvement of Maine
hockey and the areas youth hockey leagues.
"As Maine hockey gets better, we get better," said Nabonzny who
attended the practice with is 13 year old son.  "We've been in the area
since 1988. We've seen both the good and the bad."
 Nabozny, a graduate of Boston University, said when he attended his
first Maine hockey game he made the near fatal mistake of wearing his
alma mater's colors in the Alfond.
"I wore a BU sweater to my first Maine hockey game," said Nabozny.  "I
thought I was going to get beat up."
Also in attendance with his 13 year old son, was 48 year old Ken Huhn.
"I've only been in Maine for three years," said Huhn.  "I really see
the enthusiasm pick up amongst the kids. Winning plays a big role in
that."
The seating arrangements in the Alfond will not change from last season
as fans will be integrated together.  This was met with conflicting
emotions.
"The students should be put together," said first year student Allison
Bowler.  "Students don't want to yell all alone."
"Students are the core fans of the team and there should be more
student sections," said Demoree.  "We pay all these dues and should be
given an opportunity to have better seats."
"(student sections) bring us all together with pride and spirit," added
Esty.  "It's more encouraging for the team as well."
Nabonzy said the idea of blending all fans together creates a wide
spread enthusiasm in the arena.
"It's wonderful. I think it is great to mix everybody together.  It
doesn't matter what age you are, fans are fans."
"They should put all of us in the sky boxes," joked Claverie.
At the conclusion of the penalty shot round, an intrasquad scrimmage
was played.  Senior forward Scott Parmentier helped the home "white"
team to a 5-2 victory over the counterparts in blue.
Highlighting the blue team's effort was junior forward Steve Kariya who
found the back of the net on a quick wrist shot just eleven minutes
into the contest.
The Black Bears haven't played an NCAA playoff game since their 6-2
loss to BU in the 1995 national championship game.  However, the
arrival of a new season has fans optimistic about a return trip to
college hockey's Big Dance.
"The team has a great chance to compete for the title and bring it back
to Maine," said Demoree.  "Coach Walsh knows what it takes to win and
he teaches the team the competitiveness to return them back to glory."